France RL - what hope is there?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

France RL - what hope is there?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Another annual drubbing of France against an English side who haven't really trained a lot together etc... and we score 60. If they are joining the tri-nations I fear the aussies will put 100 on them.

Appointing Bobby Goulding, ex-Rochdale coach, is a farce... they have no hope. A full strength and well drilled England will win the game within 20 minutes next time. Another french SL team the answer? It is basically, or could be seen as, a weakened Catalans team that played.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Re: France RL - what hope is there?

Post by josie andrews »

ancientnloyal wrote:Another annual drubbing of France against an English side who haven't really trained a lot together etc... and we score 60. If they are joining the tri-nations I fear the aussies will put 100 on them.

Appointing Bobby Goulding, ex-Rochdale coach, is a farce... they have no hope. A full strength and well drilled England will win the game within 20 minutes next time. Another french SL team the answer? It is basically, or could be seen as, a weakened Catalans team that played.
They aren't in the four nations this time, they lost their place to Papua New Guinea
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I know but when they do step up to that they will be lambs to the slaughter, just after being r**** by the welsh

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Not playing them is not an option IMO. We are on the up but we still have an obligation to develop the game internationally. Hence, France can only learn by playing v such opposition.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:Not playing them is not an option IMO. We are on the up but we still have an obligation to develop the game internationally. Hence, France can only learn by playing v such opposition.
I'm not convinced. I think they'd be better off playing teams nearer their own level - I don't see today's game benefitted either side, really.

England need to play stronger opposition to prepare them for the NZ and Aus games, and France need to play sides they have a realistic chance of beating, or at least competing with.

If we are going to keep the England v France fixture, we should select more youngsters, rather than our strongest side. That would help France as well as help develop our future England stars.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

France given their low number of elite players competed for long periods but were incredibly weak out wide. I concur they need more international fixtures at a similar level and they will get that at the end of the season.

However, we have suffered similarly at the hands of Aus and periodically NZ. Should they have done what some are advocating we do and dump us? We had an even worse mid season defeat to Aus than France sufferd today several years ago when we put ourselves in a similar position.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

What I would add is that you only improve by being stretched. The only benefit for England is as a set period when England can come together as a squad etc and train together but playing wise over than familiarity with systems etc very little is gained. For France far more is gained playing wise.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:What I would add is that you only improve by being stretched. The only benefit for England is as a set period when England can come together as a squad etc and train together but playing wise over than familiarity with systems etc very little is gained. For France far more is gained playing wise.
That's my point re England. We should be playing a "rest of SL" side, instead of France.

It's very easy to imagine a team that would stretch us, and would be much better preparation for playing NZ or Aus.

Start with a backline of:
Webb
Roberts
Gidley
King
Richards
(for example)
and it's already looking more like what we'll face down under...

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I don't think the RFL can afford to have two such 'international' games and if it was added then we would get the usual call, players play too many games.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

France don't have a large pool of talent to choose from... what, Catalan and Toulouse? Their french league is on a par with NL2 over here and players are called up from Pia, Lezignan etc... It's a complete miss-match. Either introduce another french SL team (expand the league to 16) or at least get a better coach Goulding is worse than Noble after losing at home to huddersfield on that funny night

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame