How far have we come?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
weststand-rich

How far have we come?

Post by weststand-rich »

A quick nosey through the tables from last year.

- We have as many points now as we finished with last year.

- Our PD is nearly 3 times better than last year.

Impressive.
ancientnloyal

Re: How far have we come?

Post by ancientnloyal »

We have shown what we knew all along what we can do with this squad. The significant factor is the coaching. If we were still with Brian then we'd be 10 points back and moaning and whingeing every match.

Now we have a team full of confidence and we're at a stage where we know we can ebat any side it's just changing our game each week to find out the easiest way to beat them. Our new challenge now is keep winning whether playing bad or good. We will lose again before the season it's just making sure our heads are right for the playoffs. Maguire has ordered viagara for each squad member if we make it to the final playoff eliminator to help us get past the semi.

This time last year we didn't know if we'd make the playoffs or not so couldn't really prepare in advance other than preparing and worrying for the next game instead of having a longer period to set goals, which I think we're at now... even though they say they take each game as it comes I'm sure squad rotation will be a factor come the close season.

thank 'god' for 2010
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We have come a long way but its important to remember we were helped by a generally poor start to the season by most teams most notably st helens and leeds. I said a couple of months back we leeds couldn't buy a win that come the end of the season leeds and st helens would be the teams to beat and i still believe that. As far as we have come i think its important to remember that we are back in the new look big 4 (Wire, St Helens, Wigan, Leeds) but we are not clear of them.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

We need stains to turn over Wire to get the 4 points difference back. Give us our 4 point cushion then hold it against wire, That will set the run in.
Jim
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Maguire now knows who can and cannot play to his system.
He had to accept the current players at the begining of the season but should be making plans now to move on those who do not fit in. I am expecting significant changes for next year, given the release of players or realignment of salaries for some players, which will make us the BEST in SL. Sadly, there are one or two gaps that he cannot fill this season. I do hope that they can get to and win the grand final but there will be two or three (better?) teams we need to overcome.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

The biggest difference for me is that for the last few seasons we really have had a good set of players. This season we've still got those players, but now we have a team.

When I came away from the first couple of games this year it was clear that we were seeing something different and a whole lot better. There was an altogether more positive attitude and it showed in results and the whole mood of both players and supporters. The away wins at Wire and Saints remain some of the most exciting (though coronary mangling) times we've had for a good while.
There are still the odd soggy moments and we saw a couple on Sunday, but they are a lot less.

This team can win the League and the Grand Final, but so can one or two others. We need to be a bit sharper a bit more often.

So the answer to the question is that we really have come a very long way - but not far enough for any complacency.
Stevethegas
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

I also believe that Leeds will turn over the Wires.Leeds need a big win at this stage of the season to get some much needed confidence back.However as to the question.I am more impressed with our performance this year than I have been over the past few years.Despite the losses we seem to be quicker in every department.It is a pleasure to come and watch us again.The losses have been largely helped by inept reffing.So we can take much heart. :D
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

We have most certainly improved in the way we play and our fitness.We are out of the challenge cup but top of the table.I said at the beginning of the season that i did not think we have the players to win a GF and i still think we need 2 props a centre and a full back.MM has come a long way but we are not there yet,our last 2 games against the 2 previously top teams have ended in defeat.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

We have come a very long way. The coaching within the club has improved considerably and bodes very well for the future. To see a Saints team adopt negative time wasting / slowing the game down tactics was a joy to behold even though we lost. James Roby told somebody I know that it was the best and most enjoyable derby he had been played in for a very long time.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:We have come a long way but its important to remember we were helped by a generally poor start to the season by most teams most notably st helens and leeds.
We are where we are because of what we have done so far not that other teams have conspired to give us an easy ride IMO. Wins at Saints and away at Wire in particular are why we are at the top not mid table.
I said a couple of months back we leeds couldn't buy a win that come the end of the season leeds and st helens would be the teams to beat and i still believe that. As far as we have come i think its important to remember that we are back in the new look big 4 (Wire, St Helens, Wigan, Leeds) but we are not clear of them.
I am sure it will be between those four sides but what are current position shows is we really are as good as them and so can go into the last part of the season confidently and not thinking if we get to the play offs the are bound to be a bridge too far.

Dave