Play of the ball

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
El Bobbers

Play of the ball

Post by El Bobbers »

What do people think of the clamp down on not playing the ball with the foot? Watching the Wakey v Hull game there have now been a couple of penalties for this.

Whilst I accept that it is the rule, I'm not sure how enforcing it now after years of allowing it to go by as long as there is an "effort" will improve the game, especially mid season. It seems to me all it will do is frustrate fans and players by producing more penalties for what is a small technicality. What makes it worse is that players will still get away with not playing it properly.

How frustrating will it be to have a fantastic move/play sweep down the pitch only to have a try denied because the ball wasn't touched by a boot?

I'm not convinced.
Do the trees feel cold when the wind blows?
gpartin

Re: Play of the ball

Post by gpartin »

totally ridiculous at this stage in the year. This is watching paint dry at its very worst. Refs killing the game again.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

Yeah, thats my worry, it will have a negative effect on the entertainment. I wouldn't want the game be decided by small tecnical rules like Union.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Phil Clarke is right you could give it every time. hull are demoralised now. How many times does Ganson say play on then change his mind compared to other refs.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

El Bobbers

Post by El Bobbers »

gpartin wrote:How many times does Ganson say play on then change his mind compared to other refs.
I was thinking the same, he has made it a horrible game to watch. And the Cooke try was a shocking decision!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

yeah it didn't affect the result but it could have been much better. Think Kear got the tactics right. Hull play Rovers on Thursday and I'm going so hope its a better game, we could do with them finishing 4th but can't see it if thats anything to go by. Shocking performance by Hull when all's said and done.

wiganwarriordave

Post by wiganwarriordave »

i agree with all, it's a shocking game so far (paint dry analogy very true!)... Hence browsing the forums instead of watching!

The play the ball penalties have been a joke, why start enforcing it now!? Or better still, why enforce it at all!? As long as it isn't a blatent knock on and the ball is under control and is rolled under foot... Who cares?? It keeps the game flowing.... We have enough petty penalties that break up play, we don't need any more.

IMO, this is one area NRL still shines on SL. The refs down under seem to have a better grasp of when to be picky and when to just let the game flow.
ian b

Post by ian b »

If they start all this bullshit with the play the ball the Aussies will move even further ahead of us.Ganson loves himself,especially when he is on tv.I think like Salford these two sides are very poor but Ganson has totally ruined the game with some shocking calls and the penalty count he is pedantic dick.I pray he is not ref for Friday :eusa10:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Agar was in the Hull Daily Mail today talking about how the players were focusing on 3rd place. Just shows how important one game at a time mentality is.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I think that just by rolling the ball under the foot, or that sort of technique, would be adequate enough... why have the foot on the ball? surely the control aspect is with the hands (placing onto the floor and rolling back) or else a knock on... which many knock ons originate from, especially when in a hurry during a break or whatever.

I know that he ptb has been in league for donkeys of years but as it's getting faster it too may need to change slightly, possibly a correct body technique will suffice or simply the ball going under a foot.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame