It cannot be every referee

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: It cannot be every ref...

Post by ian.birchall »

Robjoenz, Sorry but you are wrong, its not Stevo making it up. Look up laws of the game (www.rli.ie/rules) and under Forward pass, 4.2.4 the following rule applies: A player running towards his/her opponents goal-line may pass the ball to a colleague who is behind him/her but because of his/her own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the player has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself/herself. A good example is a high lobbed pass made by a running player.(Momentum Rule)
I like also the p.c. reference to her/herself everywhere. We still may see MrsLam turning out at no 7

:)
PS That split infinitive put in for all you sad Trekkie fans out there.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

...well blow me!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ian.birchall posted:
Robjoenz, Sorry but you are wrong, its not Stevo making it up.
Yet I seem to remember some very senior official who used to be a ref and now is in charge of his former colleagues claiming there was no such rule? But then that might explain why he was such as a bad ref, if he didn't know all the rules!

I also remember Phil Clarke being asked on Sky one day to explain the momentum rule, and the closest example he could think of was trying to show the effect of throwing Stevo off a train moving at 100mph compared to throwing him off the train moving at just 10mph... what a shame they couldn't illustrate this fine example!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ian.birchall posted:
Robjoenz, Sorry but you are wrong, its not Stevo making it up. Look up laws of the game (www.rli.ie/rules) and under Forward pass, 4.2.4 the following rule applies: A player running towards his/her opponents goal-line may pass the ball to a colleague who is behind him/her but because of his/her own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the player has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself/herself. A good example is a high lobbed pass made by a running player.(Momentum Rule)
Correct!
I like also the p.c. reference to her/herself everywhere. We still may see MrsLam turning out at no 7
Hope so, I live at No. 7!

:)
PS That split infinitive put in for all you sad Trekkie fans out there.
What split infinitive? "we may see" is not the infinitive, but the 3rd person plural future conditional, so you're allowed to (boldly) split it.
silver surfer

Post by silver surfer »

Is this a rugby forum or the Open University?
:lol:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Silver Surfer, you obviously missed all GeoffN's Latin lessons when MrsLam was on holiday and he was feeling despondent!!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.