Amos' tackling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kiwiseddon

Amos' tackling

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Just watched the Super League show and it struck me that Amos' attempts to stop three of the Wires' tries were quite poor. Is he that badly injured? If so, what was he doing on the pitch?

I don't believe that he's gone back to the Amos from 2009 but he has been way off form the last couple of games.

His attempted tackle on Hicks for their first try was woeful and the attempt to get to Myler for their second, wasn't much better.

I think on his day, he's a wonderful player but should he have been on the pitch in a game that important, given his form/injury??
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
platt-warrior

Re: Amos' tackling

Post by platt-warrior »

I dont think he was anywhere near to full fitness.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

He was OK until he injured himself in that slide to the SE corner, he was hobbling after that and really should have gone off, IMO.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Im afraid I disagree, I have been discussing this with a friend, and we both agree that Roberts is fit, but his confidence is shot!!! And yes it is the Roberts of last season! We'll be lucky if Roberts scores another try this season, and it certainly wont be a long range one! Against Salford last week, he had numerous chances to go for the line, but bottled it and passed out to Goulding! Hope im proved wrong but Roberts is done!!!! If only he'd gone outside the post against Wakey!!! :(

Matt
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

I think that it a bit of both his confidence and also not being 100% fit.For me he was a fault or at the least guilty of not being in the right posistion for a few of wires tries.I also agree that he did get a knock to his knee when he slid in for a tackle,thats why he went out to the wing and i think MM should have taken him off.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I was not Roberts greatest fan in his first season (that's an understatement) but his form in 2010 before the injury was electric.

Whatever the reason for his loss of form I can only hope he gets it back because having seen when he can do I'd like to see some more.

However I don't think defence is his strong point as a full back fit or not. I think with a full side out whoever plays full back rarely gets left isolated and so that didn't matter in the first half of the season. Against Wire he got more to do in that game than the rest of the season put together. So if he wasn't fit it was a bad time to have to deal with that.

Whatever I hope Roberts and any other players not 100% fit get back there soon and ready for the play offs.

Dave

pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote:I was not Roberts greatest fan in his first season (that's an understatement) but his form in 2010 before the injury was electric.

Whatever the reason for his loss of form I can only hope he gets it back because having seen when he can do I'd like to see some more.

However I don't think defence is his strong point as a full back fit or not. I think with a full side out whoever plays full back rarely gets left isolated and so that didn't matter in the first half of the season. Against Wire he got more to do in that game than the rest of the season put together. So if he wasn't fit it was a bad time to have to deal with that.

Whatever I hope Roberts and any other players not 100% fit get back there soon and ready for the play offs.

Dave
EDIT - I dont want to reply in case I get banned
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

DaveO wrote:I was not Roberts greatest fan in his first season (that's an understatement) but his form in 2010 before the injury was electric.

Dave
totally agree, however I would say that a lot of our players were very slow turning round at times dealing with the kicks. It was like having 6 Wellens's defending our line near the posts. Think Amos is wary of another big injury and relies on confidence more than most.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Roberts is not and never will be a full back,he is an out and out winger.Both Pat and Phelps are better at FB.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

He used to play FB for Roosters.With a great deal of success.