This is posted on blue board as well, I hope you agree for our town

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan&Proud

This is posted on blue board as well, I hope you agree for our town

Post by Wigan&Proud »

This may be a long winded message, but please bare with me and read it entirely.
I have watched Wigan Athletic for over 40 years, but personally I have supported both major clubs in Wigan since the start. I have not been to watch Wigan RL on a regular basis, but if I am in another town or even country, I make sure they know i'm from the town with one of the best teams in two different sports, no mean feet.
That was the first bit, now I will let you know what brought this on.
I have been to the International Air Tatto and celebrated was The Battle Of Britain. I did not take part, but suffered a few after affects.
As a celebration, they had a huge fly past with British Spitfires and Lancasters in tandem with the German aircraft that they were fighting at the time. The commentators comments brought a lump to my throat, "if the two largest foes in history can become friends in a United Europe, then that alone stand as a beacon to the rest of the world."
I am old enough to know what causes petty arguments, but how sad and quite embaressing that the town of Wigan can,t get along, but Great Britain and Germany can.
Thanks for your time, hope you understanding my reasons for posting.
Brian Edgar

Re: This is posted on blue board as well, I hope you...

Post by Brian Edgar »

Superb post and there are some fans from both teams equally to blame. Sad really.
josie andrews

Re: This is posted on blue board as well, I hope you agree for our town

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan&Proud wrote:This may be a long winded message, but please bare with me and read it entirely.
I have watched Wigan Athletic for over 40 years, but personally I have supported both major clubs in Wigan since the start. I have not been to watch Wigan RL on a regular basis, but if I am in another town or even country, I make sure they know i'm from the town with one of the best teams in two different sports, no mean feet.
I have been to the International Air Tatto and celebrated was The Battle Of Britain. I did not take part, but suffered a few after affects.
As a celebration, they had a huge fly past with British Spitfires and Lancasters in tandem with the German aircraft that they were fighting at the time. The commentators comments brought a lump to my throat, "if the two largest foes in history can become friends in a United Europe, then that alone stand as a beacon to the rest of the world."
I am old enough to know what causes petty arguments, but how sad and quite embaressing that the town of Wigan can,t get along, but Great Britain and Germany can.
Excellent post :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I have many friends who are staunch supporters of both codes.

I think both clubs would like their fans to live in peace and harmony but its just never going to happen as long as the 'Wigan's turning blue' brigade argue it out with their counterparts from 'Wigan is a Rugby Town'!

There has always been banter between both sets of fans but this began to turn nasty following elevation to the Premier Division and the constant rumours about Ground Sharing Rules and the basis of the Warriors tenure at the DW etc. And of course, His Royal Davidness did nothing for the cause when our 'home' playoff had to relocate to Widnes.

As for the England v Germany analogy, lets not forget it has taken 65 years to get this far!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

people who support Wigan Warriors can't tolerate each other on this site if they disagree over something about the club so uniting the town is wishful thinking. Nice thought though.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Wigan&Proud wrote:This may be a long winded message, but please bare with me and read it entirely.
Spot on mate.I am currently residing in the Midlands but always express my love for the town no matter what the sport.Do not really watch the round ball game as it holds no interest for me.However,I do not mind others passion for the game.Nice post mate.Hope you post more often. :D
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

When we are kicked out of our so called shared stadium for one of our home playoff games because of nothing more than a Premier league match, it's bound to cause friction and get people pissed off.

Oh and maybe, just maybe we would respect football a bit more if they didn't dive allover the floor and pretend to be hurt all the time instead of actually putting their bodies on the line for their team and fans.

I've nothing against people supporting the Latics but when they think it's all about them and that Rugby should take a back seat and kick us out of our own ground for a league match it is taking the absolute piss
Up The Mont!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

My take on this is that the Latics have really missed a trick in not bending over backwards as the new boys to welcome the Warriors and play the One Town card. I have gone from being supportive of them, and even watching them occasionally to neutral to thinking that there was a choice to be made between them (in which case there is only one winner).
I simply cannot understand the owner and the Club not appreciating that they have nothing to gain from a Wigan turning Blue approach. If they were turning people away then that would be fine. If they were certain to stay up then that would be fine. But they should bear in mind the adage about making friends on the way up.
If Latics and their fans (other than the good chap who started this thread) went out of their way to make it clear that we can revel in each other's success, I would sign up in an instant. For now, one glance at Cockney Latic and so on is enough to put me off.
Wigan&Proud

Post by Wigan&Proud »

A lot of nice comments, so thank you to those.
The same with the other lot (nice posts and not) but from a Latics perspective, I can give you my own experience.
"it's turning blue' became a well discussed topic where I sit.
The reason, a few of the fans chanting this was to me and people around me diabolical. You know what's worst though, they are kids.
Personally, the best thing that could have happened was if the jjb had not been built, instead putting the money into Central Park. If for no other reason, the atmosphere and positioning of that stadium was perfect.
With regards to my post, one reply states it has taken 65 years to become friends with Germany. This response I find quite sickening, when you consider 60 million people lost their lives.
60 million killed and they become allies, we cant even become allies in Wigan. It's almost an insult to all those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, truly appauling.

One post I missed mentions the Cockneylatic message board. As you will see, I do not post on there as it is full of kids. The board I use is wiganer and that is where I have put this message. Thanks.
Brian Edgar

Post by Brian Edgar »

Ideally the people of Wigan should support anything / everything Wigan connected. The Wasps do they still exist, Harriers, boxing seems to be growing in the town. Every piece of positive publicity helps eradicate the notion of Wigan as a Music Hall joke etc.