20-20 rule

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

20-20 rule

Post by Mike »

In an article in the WEP, Maurice has implied that we aren't anywhere near the top of the salary cap, it is the 20-20 rule that has forced us to lose Luke Robinson et al.

He states the rule as: you are allowed no more than 20 players earning over £20,000 per year:
From: http://www.wigantoday.net/ViewArticle2. ... eID=850444
"It is nothing to do with financial reasons or to make way for Andrew Johns or Sean Long.
"I admire Luke and he had a fine game when he came on against Leeds on Friday night.
"The simple fact is that the 20-20 rule prevents us from stock-piling players and sacrifices have to be made.
"It's a kind of of artificial strangulation designed to make clubs with good youth policies like Wigan circulate our good players and so help clubs such as Salford and Widnes who don't produce their own stars.
OK, so now we can count how many players we have that are earning over £20K.
Definitely:
Radlinski, Dallas, Aspinwall,Carney, Orr, Newton,Tickle,Faz,O'Loughlin,Sculthorpe,Smith,Wild,
Brown + SeuSeu,Davico,Vaealiki = 16
Maybe:
Allen,Hansen,Hargreaves,Prescott = 4
Probably Not:
Beswick,Williams,Colborn,Melling = 4

In summary, at most we have the maximum 20 players allowed on +£20K, but more likely we have less. I reckon at least one of the maybes (probably Allen as he has one made one first team apperance this season) will be on less. Therefore, we have room (and money) for another big signing...

At the very least, this doesn't contradict the rumours of Long (or Johns or Kimmorly) to Wigan!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Welski

Re: 20-20 rule

Post by Welski »

Mike posted:

At the very least, this doesn't contradict the rumours of Long (or Johns or Kimmorly) to Wigan!
Lets hope we get one of them at least!
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

ok then. how do the other clubs such as bradford have so manny players who are obviously esrning more than twenty thousand?
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

the grinch posted:
ok then. how do the other clubs such as bradford have so manny players who are obviously esrning more than twenty thousand?
A fiver a week salary plus "appearance bonuses"?

Seems like Chairman Mo has been reading my posts on here and elsewhere, the 20/20 rule has to be the reason for our problems retaining players since money is not really an issue with Uncle Whelan behind the scenes. How many soccer players can he buy for the paltry £1.8m he's restricted to for the rugby team?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

why doesnt a club challenge the rule in a court! if im running a business its up to me how much i pay my staff! as long as its the minimum wage or above. i know it was brought in to stop clubs over-spending. but it is now having the opposite effect it is strangling clubs like wigan.how manny other sports think that less investment is good for the game!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

the grinch posted:
why doesnt a club challenge the rule in a court! if im running a business its up to me how much i pay my staff! as long as its the minimum wage or above. i know it was brought in to stop clubs over-spending. but it is now having the opposite effect it is strangling clubs like wigan.how manny other sports think that less investment is good for the game!
Would show a lack of respect for the RFL if a club were to challenge the salary cap. Best leaving it for a club like Saints!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Good point, Grinch. Employment rules already supersede RFL rules in some instances, eg overseas players.
*!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!*

Post by *!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!* »

i no im only young like and i dont understand the salary thing but if its too do with like how many good players and how much they get played how do saint and bradford stay under the salary cap with all the overseas players and highly paided players they have/??
WIGAN TILL I DIE!!!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

GeoffN, maybe but nobody forces the clubs to sign umpteen foreigners just because they have Greek passports like Wakey or even Wigan and Italian passports. I see no sense in signing Davico unless Maurice intends signing another fully fledged foreign import. If Craig Gower is avalable for Salford why isn't he interesting Wigan? and why do Salford want him anyway when they have just signed Luke? :eh:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

this is one rule i still dont fully understand.. not that i don`t understand the rule.. just that i don`t understand how other team.. namely bradford.. another signing for next year unvieled yesterday.... with paul, volcano ( can`t spell his name this time of night LOL)harris, deacon, pryce, etc etc how do they fit it all in?? i am questioning wires books to.. they keep signin, leeds and saints.. no oneis off loading?? why R we the only club selling????