Wonderful Wigan Town

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
NathanCroucher

Wonderful Wigan Town

Post by NathanCroucher »

I think this town is pretty brilliant although I am not without criticism. I can't help but compare it with other towns though, I used to naively think we were good enough to get city status, I realise that is unlikely but what do you think can be done to improve this town and bring up to speed with other places, even ahead of other places?

I would just be interested in peoples thoughts that all.

I for one think we need a decent arts venue for a start, somewhere to see good shows and more music.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
cpwigan

Re: Wonderful Wigan Town

Post by cpwigan »

NathanCroucher wrote:I think this town is pretty brilliant although I am not without criticism. I can't help but compare it with other towns though, I used to naively think we were good enough to get city status, I realise that is unlikely but what do you think can be done to improve this town and bring up to speed with other places, even ahead of other places?

I for one think we need a decent arts venue for a start, somewhere to see good shows and more music.
I wouldn't say the town is anything special nor can it be. Movement of traffic remains a massive issue and apart from the Grand Arcade, retailing is limited but being halfway between Liverpool 1 and the Trafford Centre makes it very difficult to compete. I think re retailing they should concentrate on trying to buck the modern trend and encourage niche / one off independent retailing. Overhaul the market to give Wigan something more unique. Arts and culture needs to be developed but many projects were deemed too expensive. The recent concerts were a real step forward. The hilly gradient of the town centre does not help IMO.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

cpwigan wrote:
NathanCroucher wrote:I think this town is pretty brilliant although I am not without criticism. I can't help but compare it with other towns though, I used to naively think we were good enough to get city status, I realise that is unlikely but what do you think can be done to improve this town and bring up to speed with other places, even ahead of other places?

I wouldn't say the town is anything special nor can it be. Movement of traffic remains a massive issue and apart from the Grand Arcade, retailing is limited but being halfway between Liverpool 1 and the Trafford Centre makes it very difficult to compete. I think re retailing they should concentrate on trying to buck the modern trend and encourage niche / one off independent retailing. Overhaul the market to give Wigan something more unique. Arts and culture needs to be developed but many projects were deemed too expensive. The recent concerts were a real step forward. The hilly gradient of the town centre does not help IMO.
reminds me of Barrow, though pies better in Wigan
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

I noticed some adverts on buses in both Liverpool and Manchester, the purpose was the advertise the town of St Helens they tend to show the Rugby and World of Glass which is not too much to brag about but I think it was brilliant marketing and WLCT, the council and anybody else that deals with this kind of thing need to do something similar for Wigan.
doc

Post by doc »

Totally agree about the lack of a decent sized venue to get decent bands/comics coming to the town. The Municipal Hall in Colne is way better than anything in Wigan and attracts decent acts despite Colne being a tiny little place in the middle of nowhere.

Sadly the council got screwed over the provision of a new venue when Trencherfield was redeveloped.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wigan is a poor town. Yes Trencherfield was a disaster historically we can never get that part of industry back, too much development.

If anyone has walked along the canal from red rock to the DW stadium (through haigh hall, new springs, whelley, pier) it's awesome, a lot of cash has been spent to modernise it. This may be our only selling point - canal holidays. Wigan Pier seems to be shut as nobody goes.

The new swimming pool and cultural centre looks amazing from the plans and if anyone hasn't been to the history museum yet i recommend it. Apart form that wigan doesnt have anything to offer a day tripper.

Shopping is abysmal. BHS used to have plenty of footfall, as did the Galleries... now nobody is in the Galleries of Piers (whatever it is called... the cheap tacky shop). The Grand Arcade is nice but still not enough people shop there. Robin Park shops make just over x2 as much profit as town centre shopping. That can be said of any retail park to be honest. The JJB in Wigan is meant to be a flagship store, i remember when there were 3 JJBs in the town centre at one point... now you get a large empty shop with staff hoovering carpets.

Wigan is the best place in the world to be. out of town retail parks are much more convenient.

I'd like to see wigan little theatre getting more comedy gigs... example Jimmy Carr plays a lot of small clubs in Kendal, Windermere, Chorley etc... if it puts itself out to agents then comedians, musicians will come to the smaller venues but everytime i drive past the only adverts i see are for god-forsaken play about hallibut. Bolton however seems to have it all, the albert halls, bolton arena, the reebok for eventing.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

lol, staff hoovering carpets made me chuckle wholeheartedly sounds like one of those where the pronunciation or perhaps punctuation can affect the meaning like 'have you ever seen a man eating fish?' sorry not slept in two nights :-(

Personally I think Wigan is a dump with its hideous concrete carparks half hearted attempts at fancy arcade shopping areas aspiring to the victorian quarter in Leeds but bearing more resemblance to an indoor shopping precincts in places like Batley and Castleford where tea rooms are replaced by greasy spoon cafe's, holland and Barrett is replaced by Superdrug and upmarket jewellers are replaced by pawnbrokers whose windows are dominated by 2ft gold chains and massive creole earrings. And as the sun begins to set the face of the average girl has a distinctive orange glow, not a reflection of the sun on tasteful make-up but as a result of having visited Stanley's Salon which offers spray tan and a manicure from a peroxide blonde called Chelsea for £15 trainee rates. Girls of all ages struggle to walk in high heels and they waddle around, hair in a scrunchy, 'right said Fred' snuggly nestled down a low cut top, bare midriffs with slight overhang and skirts clearly designed for a more athletic build. Proud boyfriends with plastic diamond effect earrings, large gold chains , striped jumpers, Helly Hansen Jackets, Jeans and Rockport shoes, hair shaven really high at the back but with some left on top, shout to each other across the street. A few bigger blokes with equally large gold chains but darker tans can be seen walking briskly, muscles bulging through lonsdale vests and baggy trousers as music blares out onto the street from the packed bars where longer and longer queues begin to form. Welcome to my idea of hell. :lol:
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

gpartin wrote:lol, staff hoovering carpets made me chuckle wholeheartedly sounds like one of those where the pronunciation or perhaps punctuation can affect the meaning like 'have you ever seen a man eating fish?' sorry not slept in two nights :-(

Personally I think Wigan is a dump with its hideous concrete carparks half hearted attempts at fancy arcade shopping areas aspiring to the victorian quarter in Leeds but bearing more resemblance to an indoor shopping precincts in places like Batley and Castleford where tea rooms are replaced by greasy spoon cafe's, holland and Barrett is replaced by Superdrug and upmarket jewellers are replaced by pawnbrokers whose windows are dominated by 2ft gold chains and massive creole earrings. And as the sun begins to set the face of the average girl has a distinctive orange glow, not a reflection of the sun on tasteful make-up but as a result of having visited Stanley's Salon which offers spray tan and a manicure from a peroxide blonde called Chelsea for £15 trainee rates. Girls of all ages struggle to walk in high heels and they waddle around, hair in a scrunchy, 'right said Fred' snuggly nestled down a low cut top, bare midriffs with slight overhang and skirts clearly designed for a more athletic build. Proud boyfriends with plastic diamond effect earrings, large gold chains , striped jumpers, Helly Hansen Jackets, Jeans and Rockport shoes, hair shaven really high at the back but with some left on top, shout to each other across the street. A few bigger blokes with equally large gold chains but darker tans can be seen walking briskly, muscles bulging through lonsdale vests and baggy trousers as music blares out onto the street from the packed bars where longer and longer queues begin to form. Welcome to my idea of hell. :lol:
we call it Leigh...

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

The Rail Stations could do with a little redevelopment but I don't think it's ever going to happen, I think plans to improve North Western fell through. St Helens have done wonders to theirs, and St Helens having something better us is something I really can't bear. The Virgin trains travel from London to Edinburgh via Wigan and back again and what people see as they are passing through is probably how they see Wigan.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

The Tories cut the project... along with warrington bank quay and preston, among others.

Idiots.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame