magic weekend

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
gillysmyhero

Re: magic weekend

Post by gillysmyhero »

stevethegas wrote:Well I am about to disagree with all of the above and praise the RFL for coming up with a much better start to the season than they've managed for a while.
The negative comments about the weekend are too narrow and unhelpful to the greater good of Rugby League. Don't ever underestimate the power of advertising. As I have commented before on these blogs, if you can sell naff hamburgers and horrible soft drinks you can sell anything. I don't see the promoters of American junk food ever wondering if their advertising budget is misplaced.

So let's not be negative about selling the greatest game of them all. It's a good start to the season and a very positive way to get going and will earn lots of publicity.
If it's humanly possible to be there I shall be there - and so should you if you can.
Just wrap up warm like we always used to for the Boxing Day games!
Sorry Steve but i think but i think this is one of the reasons why our Great Game isnt as popular as it should be.How bad will a 1/4 stadium look to the TV & how many non believers is that going to attract if there arent that many believers there. For me to be honest it should be held somewere in the rugby league heartlands.
botica

Post by botica »

well there you go... Incredible

I love the finals in Cardiff in August, even the MM in May was good as the weather was ok BUT February, no bank holiday in february and it will be freezing.. Why oh why still have the extra game? And derby's as well. So another game to add to the sleepless nights i already have..

They cannot fill stadium in the heat with a bank holiday and derby's to tempt.... typical RFL clueless :conf:
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

The official line is that clubs and fans were consulted, but I must confess that I never heard anything about it until the announcement by the Rugby League.

However I stick by my earlier comments and think it's a far better start for the season than many we've had recently. In close proximity to the World Club Challenge - assuming that still goes ahead in Britain - it's excellent publicity.
Of course the stadium won't be full, but if they fill the lower tiers first the atmosphere will be great. As I recall Old Trafford was far from full for the first few Grand Finals. Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow.
Stevethegas
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

stevethegas wrote:The official line is that clubs and fans were consulted, but I must confess that I never heard anything about it until the announcement by the Rugby League.

However I stick by my earlier comments and think it's a far better start for the season than many we've had recently. In close proximity to the World Club Challenge - assuming that still goes ahead in Britain - it's excellent publicity.
Of course the stadium won't be full, but if they fill the lower tiers first the atmosphere will be great. As I recall Old Trafford was far from full for the first few Grand Finals. Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow.
The trouble is MM is already a failure. It is only the RFL who keep going on about how the fans like it when in fact the total fans who see these games are less than what would watch them if they were played as normal league fixtures. It has failed to spread the game with very few locals taking an interest. And it is disliked by many fans because it distorts the league because it is an extra game.

I can't for the life of me see how starting the season with it will improve matters. The stadium will be freezing due to the air con which must be on. The thought of travelling down to South Wales in Feb will surely put many off. Any bad weather and even those with tickets may not set out.

Nothing hinges on this game unlike the grand final (or CC final) and the novelty has worn off. It's just an away game, not some grand occasion and I for one can never get motivated about watching two other teams play to want to go out of my way to do so. If a match is on the box I will watch but I will not freeze to death to watch Wakey v Cas.

Dave

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Two words to add to this thread:

RYDER CUP :lol:
jobo

Post by jobo »

Should have had this in the South of France. South Wales is a dead duck in terms of ever being able to provide a successful rugby league team, whereas Catalonian France has the tradition, but lacks, as RL does in this country, any sort of official recognition. Maybe holding the Magic weekend would help them get that recognition, plus the weather in February is usually akin to springtime weather in Britain.