NRL players in suspenders?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
exile in Tiger country

NRL players in suspenders?

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Watching a few NRL games recently I have noticed several players wearing what appear to be suspenders either singly (on one leg) or in a pair.
It seems to be an elasticated material about 1" wide that goes from under the shorts in a V down the back of the thigh either to the sock, or more likely, something under the sock. I first noticed Manu Vatuvei wearing these, but have since seen a few NRL players wearing them, always seem to be in club colours too.
Does anyone have any idea what they are and their use?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Re: NRL players in suspenders?

Post by Kittwazzer »

Have you tried Ann Summers? :lol:
Woodentop07

Post by Woodentop07 »

It is a new kind of strapping, used instead of the normal tape. supports better and isn't as restrictive.
Has been around for about 18 months now. My club physio used it on my knee last year and I was quite impressed!!
Vatuvei is using it on his hamstrings!
Hope that helps!!
Wigan til i die!!
exile in Tiger country

Kittwazzer wrote:Have you tried Ann Summers? :lol:
Nah, I know what their suspenders are for! :redf:

I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
exile in Tiger country

Woodentop07 wrote:It is a new kind of strapping, used instead of the normal tape. supports better and isn't as restrictive.
Has been around for about 18 months now. My club physio used it on my knee last year and I was quite impressed!!
Vatuvei is using it on his hamstrings!
Hope that helps!!
It does, myself and my wife were intrigued as it just seemed to be the odd one on occasional players, but then Vatuvei wearing a pair was just a bit much. Not that I'd tell him they looked like suspenders, he's rather a big chap!

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I forget which player it was, maybe Fui Fui but he has about 5 strips down on hamstring / back leg. They explained it on an NRL programme. Apparently it works so expect to see it here soon.

Anybody remember those nasal strips or torpedo thigh protecting lycra shorts. Henry Paul was into all those things IIRC.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Anybody remember those nasal strips or torpedo thigh protecting lycra shorts. Henry Paul was into all those things IIRC.
You mean ' Go Faster Plasters' Inga wore em as well!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

cpwigan wrote:Anybody remember those nasal strips or torpedo thigh protecting lycra shorts. Henry Paul was into all those things IIRC.
And those stupid fingerless gloves, loads of RU players were wearing them, mainly the backs. What a bunch of girls.
They said it was to get a better grip of the ball, I reckon they just didn't like getting cold when stood about for hours on end, just hoping to get a touch of the ball.

I remember playing in numerous games at Orrell RU and the only time I ever touched the ball was when I went to retrieve it after another kick to touch (seriously, that's no exagerration). Hence I left after a few years and went to St Judes.

cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

If you were at magic weekend this year you might of noticed that Peter Lupton of crusaders had one of these strappings on his leg, I believe that crusaders were the first team in super league to have these and possibly at all as they were a trial when he wore it