BBC4 RL Night

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Shaun1967

BBC4 RL Night

Post by Shaun1967 »

Next Tuesday - 7th September BBC4 will be dedicating an evening to Rugby League featuring:

9pm Eddie Waring; Mr Rugby League
Documentary about Eddie Waring, the man who helped raise rugby league's profile.

10pm The Game That Got Away1969 documentary about rugby league, featuring access to a Featherstone Rovers match.

10:30pm Challenge Cup Classic; The 1978 RL Challenge Cup FinalEddie Waring commentates on the 1978 Challenge Cup final between Leeds and St Helens.

12 Midnight This Sporting Life
A Yorkshire coal miner decides to better himself by becoming a professional rugby player.

Sounds a good night in, but would have been nice to have seen the 85 final again, seeing it's 25 years on and was celebrated at Wembley last weekend.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Kittwazzer

Re: BBC4 RL Night

Post by Kittwazzer »

Sounds like a good evenings viewing. I think the matches were chosen because of Eddie's commentary. In 85 it was Alex Murphy & Ray French.

The Richard Harris film is good as well. Looks like Sky+ will be busy that night!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Shaun1967 wrote:Next Tuesday - 7th September BBC4 will be dedicating an evening to Rugby League featuring:

9pm Eddie Waring; Mr Rugby League
Documentary about Eddie Waring, the man who helped raise rugby league's profile.

10pm The Game That Got Away1969 documentary about rugby league, featuring access to a Featherstone Rovers match.

10:30pm Challenge Cup Classic; The 1978 RL Challenge Cup FinalEddie Waring commentates on the 1978 Challenge Cup final between Leeds and St Helens.

12 Midnight This Sporting Life
A Yorkshire coal miner decides to better himself by becoming a professional rugby player.

Sounds a good night in, but would have been nice to have seen the 85 final again, seeing it's 25 years on and was celebrated at Wembley last weekend.
Incredible that the BBC are doing this I can't believe it.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

NathanCroucher

Post by NathanCroucher »

It appears that there is going to a decent night of television for once. I do think BBC4 is one of the better channels, they have broadcast some quite interesting music documentaries.
Lovers Come & Go But I Will Always Have My Wigan Rugby.
doc

Post by doc »

Due to the move to media city in Salford they are doing a week of programmes about the North.

Personally I'd like them to repeat some of Mike Hardings shows as they were hilarious.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Or a rerun of 'Sit thi Deawn!'! :lol:
doc

Post by doc »

Never a big fan of the Houghton Weavers. Preferred Five Penny Piece.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

doc wrote:Never a big fan of the Houghton Weavers. Preferred Five Penny Piece.

But they didn't have their own TV show!

I remember Norman Prince when he was the Office Boy at Wigan Magistrates Court! :lol:
doc

Post by doc »

The BBC don't do decent regional programmes any more. Hopefully the move to media city will remedy the matter.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

And I've just remembered, The Houghton Weavers have a WRLFC connection!

They played live at the Douglas venue after we won the Okell's Shield one year. I remember chatting to Ronnie Campbell who reffed the game. Shaun Edwards was off his head on Pomagne!!

Happy Days. Anyone else there??? :D