Salary Cap?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Salary Cap?

Post by cpwigan »

Glad Widnes have retained a player etc but IMO if this is now allowed it opens a real can of worms.

http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/article.php?id=2595

Fans fundraising scheme Vikings Quid's In better known as VIQI is delighted to announce that it has managed to raise enough funds in order to help secure the signing of Anthony Thackeray.

Anthony has signed a 2 year playing deal and will also take up a role as a Community Development Officer, placing him within the Youth Development structure at the club in a coaching / mentoring role. He will now work closely with the Scholarship and u16's within the clubs coaching structure.
weststand-rich

Re: Salary Cap?

Post by weststand-rich »

Hmm. It's skirting close to the spirit of the cap isn't it?

In what way is a player - community officer role different to say a player - coaching role? Why is one allowed but not the other? That's the issue to resolve.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

That is my thinking too Rich, it's the old Wife employed by club sponsor scenario.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

weststand-rich wrote:Hmm. It's skirting close to the spirit of the cap isn't it?

In what way is a player - community officer role different to say a player - coaching role? Why is one allowed but not the other? That's the issue to resolve.
Both are allowed, but his entire salary counts against the cap, even if he plays just one game.

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

So do the car park staff on car park three qualify as working for the greater good of the club and the community? And may I just say what sterling work these staff do.Working in all kind of weather.Because no matter how you look at it this opens all kind of loop holes.And of course that being the case I can think of two clubs within a ten mile radius that will exploit any loop hole possible.Mind you.Looking at the playing staff I would go as far as to say every avenue to circumvent the cap is already being exploited! :D
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

As Geoff said, if the guy turns out for the team, his entire income from the club will count towards the cap.

Kooch, a car park attendants income wouldn't have much impact. A better analogy would have bEen M r Lenegan himself!

Or am I totally missing the point?
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

See your point kittwazzer.Lenegan is stinking rich the lucky so and so.I admire those guys and gals that stand outside in all weather. :D
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I suppose Widnes could be killing two birds with one stone. Supposing they know it will all count on the cap, then by taking him on they manage to retain him and then unlike other nominal positions actually get him doing the community officer work. He gets paid, plays and gets work development outside of just playing.

Widnes keep their player and get the community role filled as well.

Fromage a la douche. Everyone is a winner.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

These are the rules from the salary cap regs for the championship available on the rfl web site:

6.6 Dual Roles

6.6.1 Where an employee of the club is employed in a capacity other than as a player,and plays one or more first team games (excluding friendlies) in a season then he will be considered a player and as such remuneration payable by the club for the other duties shall also be included as Salary Cap Costs.

6.6.2 Each club may have an allowance of up to £20,000 for each player who acts as a Community Development Officer in a project or role approved by the RFL Community Development department. Such approval must be sought and registered at the beginning of the competitive season and must be counter signed by the Community Development department again at the end of the relevant season.

So that reads to me a development officer is exempt to the tune of £20K from the cap.

These rules do not apply to SL, only the championship.

Dave
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dave.

My reading of the words 'each player' in paragraph 6.6.2 suggests that more than one player can be put forward for the role!