Stains v Wire

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

Stains v Wire

Post by Kittwazzer »

There is a beautiful irony about this game.

Richie Myler. Superstar too big for Salford, signs for Wire for a massive contract yet fails to command a regular first team place.

Mattie Smith. Unwanted by Stains. Sent to Salford on loan and eventually signs for them. Injuries mean he is recalled by Stains for the playoffs and rips Warrington apart.

Sheer bloody poetry- :lol:
cpwigan

Re: Stains v Wire

Post by cpwigan »

Bad coaching and extreme naivety. 8 point lead, tearing Saints apart. Awful conditions. Instead of settling for the early lead and building pressure they decide they are the harlem globetrotters and throw possession away (Carvell as per usual a serial offender) to the point Saints had all the ball and played a very astute tactical game cutting Wire up down the middle. Potter out coached Smith whose substitutions were bizarre and even selections questionable. Fully deserved Saints win.

Tonight showed the farce of the play offs though. Every season a summer competition becomes a wet weather knockout competition. Crazy.

Tonight saw a referee commit an awful mistake that deserved for him to be dropped. Silverwood did not go to the video referee when Foster clearly tackled Riley mid air for Saints to score. Referee and TJ should be demoted.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: Tonight showed the farce of the play offs though. Every season a summer competition becomes a wet weather knockout competition. Crazy.
I agree with you there. It's just another reason I don't like the playoffs as the ultimate decider.

I have not seen the Saints-Wire game as I am in Aberystwyth for a Computer Science department 40th anniversary do (back Sunday for the game) but I read the preview on BBC web site and Smith said he thought it would be the last time they play at KR.

Not if everything goes to plan it won't be unless of course his side are not good enough to get a 2nd chance there. Talk about counting your chickens...

Dave
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I noticed that too Dave good point. Agree with CP about Warrington, they tried to be way too flashy with the ball and it was totally wrong in those conditions. Saints didn't do anything special just played the basics right and the kicking game was excellent. Foster is outstanding taking the high ball under pressure and I think he deserves young player award this year. Was good to see Warrington unable to kick goals again and also their entire pack going missing as soon as Saints put a bit of pressure on. Bryn Hargreaves outplayed Morley, Carvell and Solomona by some distance.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote:
I have not seen the Saints-Wire game as I am in Aberystwyth for a Computer Science department 40th anniversary do

Dave
Too much information! :D
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I don't like either team - but I did enjoy watching wire capitulate. For all their swagger (ably led by cry baby briers) as soon as they dropped a couple of balls they mentally went to pieces. The bridge try aside (which was from a charge down) they never really looked like being likely to pull off the victory.

As it always is with wire, as soon as their huge pack couldn't dominate up the middle, both halves went missing along with their kicking game. briers proved once again that he can only run a game when his forwards are totally dominant.

You could see it in them in the second half when they went back to their usual dirty tactics in the tackle that they knew they weren't going to win

If we get the club call and have the chance to send them to KR again then we HAVE to do it - for sheer comedy value!

As for myler? Well I bet Salford are happy with the swap - probably saved themselves a fair few quid into the bargain too!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Matthew wrote:
As for myler? Well I bet Salford are happy with the swap - probably saved themselves a fair few quid into the bargain too!
It wasn't a swap though was it. Salford had a world beater who was too big for them. Stains had a reject who they dumped on Salford.

Yup. Its been a pretty enjoyable evening! :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Kittwazzer wrote:There is a beautiful irony about this game.

Richie Myler. Superstar too big for Salford, signs for Wire for a massive contract yet fails to command a regular first team place.

Mattie Smith. Unwanted by Stains. Sent to Salford on loan and eventually signs for them. Injuries mean he is recalled by Stains for the playoffs and rips Warrington apart.

Sheer bloody poetry- :lol:
Matty Smith ripped Saints apart when Salford beat them earlier this season. I'm quite surprised they're letting him go, actually.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

gpartin wrote: Foster is outstanding taking the high ball under pressure and I think he deserves young player award this year.
He has been good, but I'd give it to Tom Briscoe at Hull
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09