Braveheart - Danny Brough

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Braveheart - Danny Brough

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Does anyone else think that the Rugby League international selection set up is a complete and utter farce.

Danny Brough threw his hat in with Scotland to ensure he could play in the World Cup down under. Not only that they made him captain.

After the World Cup he decided that he really is English after all and told Scotland to "get stuffed i'm going to play for England"

Tomkins , Myler , Smith , Eastmond Etc be afraid , be very afraid. NOT.

England dont want him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brough decides he really is Scottish after all " i'll go play For Scotland." :angry: :angry: :angry:

Just received an e-mail from the Scottish Rugby League saying Braveheart Danny Brough returns for Scotland.

WOULD NOT TOUCH HIM WITH A BARGE POLE.

Complete and utter farce.

What is your take on this Jim (Highland Convert)
2002 and EW is hooked
josie andrews

Re: Braveheart - Danny Brough

Post by josie andrews »

I think it is a disgrace. The same with Big Mary from stains, how can he play for England.

They did the same in union... Lesley Vainikolo, Henry Paul, Shontayne Hape ....give us a bloody break
How can you swap allegiances at the drop of a hat just to suit yourself!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote:I think it is a disgrace. The same with Big Mary from stains, how can he play for England.

They did the same in union... Lesley Vainikolo, Henry Paul, Shontayne Hape ....give us a bloody break
isn't one of Henry's parents English though Josie?
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

medlocke wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I think it is a disgrace. The same with Big Mary from stains, how can he play for England.

I think it may be Grandparents. I don't know about his mum, but his dad was dfinitely a kiwi the last time I spoke to him :)

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

If a player is eligable to play for numerous countries due to birth, parentage and grand parents, he should be allowed to make one choice. Once his choice is made he should not be allowed to change.
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

It is a bit stupid but you have to look at it from the other point of view as well.

Take Paul Prescott for example he was picked to play for Ireland and a few season ago you would think that is probably as high as his international career will get but after a few good season he has decided to make himself available for England.

So should he be left to play for a second tier nation or try and better himself by getting into a test nation.

The Aussies and Kiwis do it anyway, those not in those national teams play for Samoa, Tonga and Fiji but switch back to Australia and New Zealand when needed.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

The problem lies purely with the disbanding of team UK/GB
Brough was happy when he was eligable for the national team. However RL decided that England was the way forward. Now there is little chance of playng down under if you are W.S.or I. Little wonder the cream of the crop looks to realine with England. Calderwood bailed out last minute on us last time round. Brough is a generation too late for England.
Jim
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The ones I pointed out have only been allowed to play for England because of the length of residency here
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

MrDave wrote:The Aussies and Kiwis do it anyway, those not in those national teams play for Samoa, Tonga and Fiji but switch back to Australia and New Zealand when needed.
Very true, nearly all the Samoan team at the last world cup had played for New Zealand the previous tri nations.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Sutty wrote:
medlocke wrote:

I think it may be Grandparents. I don't know about his mum, but his dad was dfinitely a kiwi the last time I spoke to him :)
wasn't there mum from Liverpool or have i got it mixed up with another one of our ex overseas players, someones mum was deffo from scouseland