A crazy idea BUT

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

A crazy idea BUT

Post by cpwigan »

Long range tries like the one scored by Martin Gleeson in the GF are what get fans truly excited be they a player running from deep in his own half and beating several players OR teamwork with passing etc. Given some teams are almost reliant on scoring from short range and run 1 out in their own half ad infinitum why not make a TRY scored from your own half worth 6 points + 2 points for a conversion. Encourage teams to try differwent things / vary play more.
Kittwazzer

Re: A crazy idea BUT

Post by Kittwazzer »

Radical idea, but no more than the 40/20 rule!

And it would probably have been adopted already if Leeds scored more tries in that category!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

That is a crazy idea but as Phil Clarke elluded to sometime this season, Wigan have scored most tries from their own half so the whinos, stains and wires of this world would spit their dummies out big style if this was brought in!
Up The Mont!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Long range tries like the one scored by Martin Gleeson in the GF are what get fans truly excited be they a player running from deep in his own half and beating several players OR teamwork with passing etc. Given some teams are almost reliant on scoring from short range and run 1 out in their own half ad infinitum why not make a TRY scored from your own half worth 6 points + 2 points for a conversion. Encourage teams to try differwent things / vary play more.
You are Nigel Wood and I claim my five pounds :lol:

Seriously I doubt this would ever come in. For one thing you may even see teams run backwards into their own half to try and score one of these tries. I suppose you could outlaw that but it's just more rules.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My next crazy idea is power plays :wink:

Cheeky Dave, I don't think any of us have the figure to be Wood :)
Lil Feka's Dad

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

Interesting idea – I presume you mean that once the “play the ball”, or catch (or interception) takes place behind say the 40m line and the try is scored on the same play.

I think to introduce this there would have to be a properly enforced rule that if a penalty is conceded in defending such a scenario it will result in an automatic red card.

One of the (many) reasons that rugby union has become less entertaining is the lack of tries scored. One theory is that since the converted try is now worth 7 points, it is far less expensive to give away a penalty worth 3 points.

Extend this into RL and consider whether players would prefer conceding 2 points for a goal instead of 8 points for a converted try?

I like the idea of extra points for a long range try (similar to principle as basketball), but there would have to be severe enough penalties to ensure it doesn’t breed even more cynical play.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Power play, lots of possibles but I was thinking, concede a penalty in your own 20 and the player penalised is touchlined for the next set of 6 tackles if the other team decide to run the ball.
Pharabus

Post by Pharabus »

cpwigan wrote:Power play, lots of possibles but I was thinking, concede a penalty in your own 20 and the player penalised is touchlined for the next set of 6 tackles if the other team decide to run the ball.
been watching a lot of Ice Hockey? :)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:) No, hate it but obviously that is where the idea is used etc
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:Long range tries like the one scored by Martin Gleeson in the GF are what get fans truly excited be they a player running from deep in his own half and beating several players OR teamwork with passing etc. Given some teams are almost reliant on scoring from short range and run 1 out in their own half ad infinitum why not make a TRY scored from your own half worth 6 points + 2 points for a conversion. Encourage teams to try differwent things / vary play more.
Reminded me a bit of the two tries scored by Craig Murdoch in 1996 against Bath in the Yawnion game which started from within our own "in-try" area.