What happened to Sam?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

What happened to Sam?

Post by Kittwazzer »

Still not heard why he went off. Showed him on the bench and they just said he was being given a 'breather'!

All I will say is that England collapsed in his absence. This is especially noticeable when you think how easily Lockers strolled over for his try at the end of the first half!
cpwigan

Re: What happened to Sam?

Post by cpwigan »

I think he was just taken off to give Robinson and Brown time together to see how that worked. Pointless given how little possession England had in the second half. Completion in the first half was 60% or less. Fortunately Maori was only 70%. In the second half our completion got worse, Maori got better. England could quite easily have lost. Briscoe stripped the ball from a Maori when he was over the try line and England charged down a drop goal attempt.

The team defended like trojans but there is a gulf when Ellis and Burgess go off etc. Morley went off very early; arm injury. Griffin looked lost. Westwood did well and Joel T was very busy defensively. Shenton looks shaky and fragile. Atkins looks good with the ball less so in defence. Sam T and Widdop stood out in the backs. Robinson looked far better at hooker than half back.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

It says on the Warriors website that Sam was withdrawn on the hour mark due to an ankle knock
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Tomkins, who was withdrawn with an ankle injury 10 minutes into the second half.
Sporting Life
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I find that hard to believe. I can't recall him ever being substituted for Wigan, let alone injured!
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

We know it won't happen but I think there is a strong case for Goulding to come into the side after Hall was guilty for the first 2 tries IMO. He rushed out of the line for the 1st and then was caught out positionally on the 2nd which let Maroi's get 60 meters down field. The first try was similiar to when Colbon shot out of th line against us and we scored, very poor.

Thought robinson looke lively and was very god at hooker, if the defensive team is tight around the ruck can roby do anything esle than jus scoot? his passing is average at best.
jobo

Post by jobo »

AdamMac wrote:We know it won't happen but I think there is a strong case for Goulding to come into the side after Hall was guilty for the first 2 tries IMO. He rushed out of the line for the 1st and then was caught out positionally on the 2nd which let Maroi's get 60 meters down field. The first try was similiar to when Colbon shot out of th line against us and we scored, very poor.

Thought robinson looke lively and was very god at hooker, if the defensive team is tight around the ruck can roby do anything esle than jus scoot? his passing is average at best.
Thought it was Atkins who pulled Hall with him. Thought Atkins was very rusty in defence. If he plays like that against the Kiwis or Aussies we are in for it.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

according to BBC website Sam has a groin injury.

There are also fears for the fitness of Wigan half-back Sam Tomkins.

The mercurial youngster also left the field in the first half of the Maori game with a groin injury and must now wait 48 hours before a full prognosis in known.
Taken from here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 098568.stm

I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I read on Sky that it was a hip injury!!!

and from the official site...

England Draw Opener

Warriors duo Sam Tomkins and Sean O'Loughlin got on the scoreboard as England drew 18-18 with NZ Maori on Saturday morning.

The game was a warm up for the upcoming 4 Nations tournament and a strong opening 40 minutes saw England storm into an 18-0 lead with a dominant performance. Ryan Atkins scored the opening try to add to Sam and Sean's efforts, whilst former Wigan half back Luke Robinson was outstanding on his International debut.

However the loss of Adrian Morley to a shoulder injury and effect of jet lag took its toll as the visitors looked fatigued after the break. The turning point was the withdrawl of Sam Tomkins on the hour mark with an ankle knock, as Castleford's Rangi Chase stepped up and took control, leading the Maori as they finished with pride to fight back to 18-all. A last minute drop goal attempt could have won it for the hosts but Sam Burgess managed to get in front of the kick to ensure England held on for the draw.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 42&type=1

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Bill Arthur on Sky reported it as an ankle knock. It showed up how poorly off we are for half-backs, though. Brown was dreadful, and Robbo, though he played well at hooker, was poor when he reverted to the halves.

Hall had a nightmare, surely Goulding will come in for him v NZ.