Shenton out

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
TonyH

Shenton out

Post by TonyH »

Sounds like Shenton will be out of the 4 Nations with a lower leg injury, well that's according to a Tweet by Dave Woods, I'd be tempted to throw Clubb in the centres with Widdop and drop Atkins, Clubb can't be any worse than Atkins and he might be enthusiastic at getting his chance, I really really despise Ryan Atkins after yesterdays abysmal attempt at trying to prove he is one of our best centres? Glees should have gone.
Up The Mont!
Panchitta Marra

Re: Shenton out

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TonyIdol wrote:Sounds like Shenton will be out of the 4 Nations with a lower leg injury, well that's according to a Tweet by Dave Woods, I'd be tempted to throw Clubb in the centres with Widdop and drop Atkins, Clubb can't be any worse than Atkins and he might be enthusiastic at getting his chance, I really really despise Ryan Atkins after yesterdays abysmal attempt at trying to prove he is one of our best centres? Glees should have gone.
We can all understand a coach wanting to bring in young fresh players into a national team.
But surely that should be only if the players are good enough.
In latter years England/GB has never been blessed with real top class centres and we are embarrasingly weak in that position at the moment.
Tony Clubb is officially the worst tackler in SL according to the Engage Sperleague with 92 missed tackles this season, and has scored only 5 tries.
Martin Gleeson has had one of his best seasons for years, and has played just as good, if not better than any other centre in SL.
How can this justify Tony Clubb being selected for England ahead of a proven, in form, and previous test centre in Martin Gleeson.
With this and other poor player selections, and for the sake of our national pride, Steve McNamarra has to go.
Panchitta Marra

Panchitta Marra wrote:
TonyIdol wrote:Sounds like Shenton will be out of the 4 Nations with a lower leg injury, well that's according to a Tweet by Dave Woods, I'd be tempted to throw Clubb in the centres with Widdop and drop Atkins, Clubb can't be any worse than Atkins and he might be enthusiastic at getting his chance, I really really despise Ryan Atkins after yesterdays abysmal attempt at trying to prove he is one of our best centres? Glees should have gone.
We can all understand a coach wanting to bring in young fresh players into his national team.
But surely that should be only if the players are good enough.
In latter years England/GB has never been blessed with real top class centres and we are embarrasingly weak in that position at the moment.
Tony Clubb is officially the worst tackler in SL according to the Engage Sperleague with 92 missed tackles this season, and has scored only 5 tries.
Martin Gleeson has had one of his best seasons for years, and has played just as good, if not better than any other centre in SL.
How can this justify Tony Clubb being selected for England ahead of a proven, in form, and previous test centre in Martin Gleeson.
With this and other poor player selections, and for the sake of our national pride, Steve McNamarra has to go.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

I would put Goulding in the centres with Shenton out.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

The series was a writeoff from the start. I suspect it has little to do with 4 nations but the build up for the next world cup two years down the line where the likes of gleeson will be too long in the tooth. PNG are honest about playing players starting their international career. Players down under at the moment will stick or be replaced dependent on performance. A couple of old hands to keep the shape and the young guns to prove their worth, no more no less.
Jim
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I wouldn't have Clubb anywhere near an international jersey, he's not too bad going forward but look at his stats in defense this year 92 missed tackles and thats against SL teams against Oz thats an invitation to a landslide!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Panchitta Marra

The Eclipse wrote:I would put Goulding in the centres with Shenton out.
I agree Eclipse, he has been good enough to play in the centres from the start of the tournament.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Gleeson has retired from international rugby
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Not been on RedVee lately but I bet some fans are blaming Shenton's injury on the St Helens curse!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Kittwazzer wrote:Not been on RedVee lately but I bet some fans are blaming Shenton's injury on the St Helens curse!
I was on there yesterday, and yup, some of them are indeed blaming the Stains curse. :lol: