New Franchises

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Kittwazzer

New Franchises

Post by Kittwazzer »

CPW mentioned Widnes/2011 in another thread. When do the next lot of franchises kick in?

Is it same as for next season?
cpwigan

Re: New Franchises

Post by cpwigan »

2012 I think KW Although it will be announced some time in 2011. Widnes seem the cast iron certainty with Wakey or Cas losing out.
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

I think it will be castleford that loose out. Wakey have had cash injected into the club and planning permission granted for their new stadium. I can't remember where cas r up to with their stadium.

If you look at castleford two of their best players have left the club this year - Joe Westermon and Shenton. do they know the ship is already sinking?
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Even the rats have done a runner.Though would sooner it was Wakey wakey losing out as I am not a fan of Kear.Matterson seems to have an idea but no money or players of any real distinction.Hopefully the next round will bring either Sheffield or Barrow into the fold.As it would be nice to travel upto the lakes every now and again. :D
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:2012 I think KW Although it will be announced some time in 2011. Widnes seem the cast iron certainty with Wakey or Cas losing out.
That's my understanding, around March next year for the announcement, I believe.

I think both Cas & Wakey are around the same stage of progress regarding their new stadia - both have outline planning permission and finance in place, but nowhere near starting work on them yet. Gonna be a close call between the two as two who drops out.

Wakey seem to have sorted their tax debt out now, which would have been a factor.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

wiggydoran wrote:I think it will be castleford that loose out. Wakey have had cash injected into the club and planning permission granted for their new stadium. I can't remember where cas r up to with their stadium.

If you look at castleford two of their best players have left the club this year - Joe Westermon and Shenton. do they know the ship is already sinking?
the only cash injection was to pay a tax bill was it not? Still shows they can't manage their own finances imo. For me Castleford is a rugby town with bigger crowds than Wakefield which is a small city which just happens to have a rugby club. There's been times when we've played at Wakefield when its seemed like we've had more fans than them, that would never happen at Castleford!
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The Castleford location at Xscape is a big draw IMO. I personally think the two clubs + Featherstone need to merge into 1 SL identity and keep their own identity at a lower level.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

cpwigan wrote:The Castleford location at Xscape is a big draw IMO. I personally think the two clubs + Featherstone need to merge into 1 SL identity and keep their own identity at a lower level.
Could not agree with you more on this CP but would the fans lick it i think not when it was first envisaged when Maurice Lindsay outlined the structure of SL in its infancy Oldham,Rochdale,Salford ,Swinton the clubs merging as Manchester ,FeAtherstone ,Wakefield and Cstleford to merge .
The Cumbria clubs to merge to form Cumbria .Leigh to merge with Wigan
15 Years down the line could this happen I think not .
But who knows if Cas or Wakey get bumped this could happen .
Catalans did it merging some of the South of France clubs ,who still have an identity .
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

jaws1 wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The Castleford location at Xscape is a big draw IMO. I personally think the two clubs + Featherstone need to merge into 1 SL identity and keep their own identity at a lower level.
Could not agree with you more on this CP but would the fans lick it i think not when it was first envisaged when Maurice Lindsay outlined the structure of SL in its infancy Oldham,Rochdale,Salford ,Swinton the clubs merging as Manchester ,FeAtherstone ,Wakefield and Cstleford to merge .
The Cumbria clubs to merge to form Cumbria .Leigh to merge with Wigan
15 Years down the line could this happen I think not .
But who knows if Cas or Wakey get bumped this could happen .
Catalans did it merging some of the South of France clubs ,who still have an identity .
Wasn't a merge between Wigan and Stains also suggested by the Superleague/Sky?
The Cas Wakey merger will never happen, nor will the merger of the Cumbrian clubs.
The only way a "Cumbria" side will happen IMO is if some multi miliionaire decides RL is his new passion and forms a new club and finances it from the ground up. Which isn't likely to happen any time soon
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09