Crusaders' future in more doubt after winding-up order is delayed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: Crusaders' future in more doubt after winding-up order is delayed

Post by cpwigan »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:A lot of clubs are going to need to seriously think how they are going to survive over the next 12-18months.

With a lot of the national cost cutting measures really taking a hold in the new year a lot of the lower league clubs and some SL clubs are really going to find it very difficult to generate lost or extra revenue to survive

Maybe uncle Mo's foresight to merge clubs in the past wasnt that stupid (cue the outburst!)
Very true TEW or rather clubs competing in divisions that reflect their finances. Blackpool got into difficulty by pushing the boat out aiming for promotion. Perhaps the should have been less ambitious and more realistic.

The championship division should and could be very good full of clubs of a similar level. The options are to retain your identity and compete at a sensible level or merge and aim for a higher standard.

Many of the club owners are small fry by owner standards in Football and RU. Perhaps given their lack of financial clout, collective fan/member ownership is a realistic option
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:with gate's of 1,000 against Castleford it's amazing how one can cope. Get rid for christ sake! RL wont work in Wales, or London... how much more time do we need?
They had to play 2 games at Neath, which brought their average down, but they still got better crowds than Salford or Quins did. Take out those 2 games and they averaged 5,200 in Wrexham - not bad for a first season, and not much worse than Wakey's attendance.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

ancientnloyal wrote:I can't see a big enough catchment in north wales to sustain a super league team with an average gate of 10,000.
Well, only 5 clubs are currently getting 10k+, so the same could be said of Cas, Wakey, HKR, Bradford, Huddersfield.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just a great shame after the good news re Wales qualifying for the 4N. Without look at their accounts, it strikes me many of the issues surround the 2009 Crusaders before they moved to Wrexham.
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Would be a pity if they went but I believe Barrow would have a better shout than Widnes. Widnes would be a step backwards in my opinion.
Jim
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

highland convert wrote:Would be a pity if they went but I believe Barrow would have a better shout than Widnes. Widnes would be a step backwards in my opinion.
Jim
Barrow are nowhere near having a Superleague standard ground, whereas Widnes already have great facilities.
The other reason I favour Widnes is they should never have been removed to allow Catalans in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Catalans should not have had their place, but the 11th place club(Widnes) should not have been relegated to allow it.
I feel that Widnes' financial problems which were the main reason cited for them not getting a licence last time, were largely caused by the aforementioned relegation.

If going into administration is a reason not get a licence, then bye bye Crusaders.
They have done very little to develop Welsh players anyway. Crusaders have loaned out most of the Welsh lads to the Scorpions, who, funnily enough, play in S. wales, where Crusaders should be.

My biggest worry is that the RFL will allow the "formation" of yet another club, Wales Crusaders, meaning the same people that have allowed the current club to fail, will get another shot at it, but leaving many creditors owed money.
This wil bring the game into disrepute nationally, but of course the RFL will deny this.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Has to be Widnes. Unfairly treated previously and the best set up. I think Barrow are well down the ladder and so much is lacking whilst their owner is so psycho that we could see negative headlines 12 months later.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

highland convert wrote:Would be a pity if they went but I believe Barrow would have a better shout than Widnes. Widnes would be a step backwards in my opinion.
Jim
Widnes has far better infrastructure, potential for fans, ground etc in place as well as the relatively recent history of success. I'd love to see a Cumbrian team in Super League and although its a pity it has to be one or the other it would be absurd to choose Barrow over Widnes in this situation imo.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

GeoffN wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:I can't see a big enough catchment in north wales to sustain a super league team with an average gate of 10,000.
Well, only 5 clubs are currently getting 10k+, so the same could be said of Cas, Wakey, HKR, Bradford, Huddersfield.
I understand that but isnt it part of the criteria? West Yorkshire has a mass of population which in theory shoulkd sustain 10,000... those clubs need to work harder dont get me wrong, but Wrexham is on it's own... Chester is too far.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote: Has to be Widnes. Unfairly treated previously and the best set up.
I would agree with that to a point. Remember that before Wigan took the baton in 1985, Widnes had dominated the game for a decade. Yet their Ditton Road ground wasn't much better than St Pats! A lot of people lined their own pockets out of the Chemics. They have only themselves to blame!

During their heyday, we were relegated and bounced back. They should never have let themselves get into this situation in the first place!