Do NZ deserve a second NRL Franchise?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EJC

Do NZ deserve a second NRL Franchise?

Post by EJC »

I know its been a topic of discussion for years now, but following New Zealand's success in the four Nations I think the idea of them having a second team in the NRL should really be taken seriously. They got 44,000 to watch the non event double header in Auckland and 20,000 to watch NZ V England at Wellington, which currently doesnt have a team and is more than the crowd usually seen at the Galpharm for the equivalent match. Whilst it is unlikely that the narrow minded Australians will grant another Franchise to the country I just thought it would be interesting to hear everyone's views?
exile in Tiger country

Re: Do NZ deserve a second NRL Franchise?

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Is there a second team pushing for a franchise?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
EJC

Post by EJC »

Its more the NZRL pushing for a second one rather than any club in particular it would probably be a new team in Wellington rather than an existing one from the city's division as far as i know. I think that such a bid was overlooked in favour of Gold Coast Titans a few years ago
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Given that they are World Champions, and four nations champions, I assume the Aussies would hate to see another succesful team in New Zealand.
The travelling wouldn't be vastly different, so I guess yes from a NZ point of view but from an English point of view we are far enough behind the southern hemisphere already, so No :)
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
EJC

Post by EJC »

Haha you've got your priorities right i'll give you that. BUT if more players from New Zealand stayed there then it would mean that Aussie clubs would need more players from elsewhere and perhaps England with the likes of Roby, Graham already going out there. If it meant we lost our players i would of course be against the idea! In terms of the Australians wanting to maintain their competitive advantage the NZRL's hope is that the new independent NRL would look at it from a commercial rather than a competite point of view :)
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

NZ do not need a second team in the NRL in terms of playing strength. Many NZers live in Aus and get the best RL education from an infant age.

Commercially for NZ possibly. I think I read somewhere participation / interest in RL is very unevenly spread across NZ.

Commercially and possibly developmentally for Aus. The NRL needs another Aus club
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Simple answer - NO

Both the Eden Park & Wellington games were EVENTS which will not draw large crowds on a regular basis.The Warriors draw bigger crowds for their games in OZ than they regularly do in NZ.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields