England V ASSRL

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Re: England V ASSRL

Post by GeoffN »

TSB

Post by TSB »

cpwigan wrote:The game was farcical, destroyed by one Mr Ganson. I actually felt sorry for the Aussies by the end. England played well but conditions were really difficult. Damn cold and constant drizzle. Why was Ganson even given such a game after what has happened to him. We cannot complain about Aus referees when ours do exactly the same and worse.
Like lambs to the slaughter :conf: The ill disipline of the Aussies was there for all to see . Nothing to do with Ganson. England were the better team . Cant wait for next week.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

That's weird CP. Other reports give Ganson a good game.

As for what happened to him, well nothing happened to him. He had no case to answer and presumably he will be reffing as usual next season.

You were obviously there though, I wasn't. Was he worse than Archer?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Jesus if the RFL are going to report on a game at least be honest about it;
The England Academy got their Test series against the Australian Schoolboys off to the best possible start by coming from 12 points behind to seal an impressive 38-30 victory in the first Test at Leigh Sports Village.

England got off to a flying start with second row Danny Bridge scoring within the first few minutes and they continued to dominate the first half with winger Ryan King also getting on the score sheet. England could easily have had 20 points on the board at half time had they capitalised on some golden opportunities but some basic errors cost them dear, allowing the Australians to cross the white wash twice and take the sides into the interval level at 12-12.
The first half was dominated by the idiosycratic refereeing of a very portly Mr Ganson. The game was stop start with penalty decisions dictating field position at all times. Conditions were very difficult. Cold and constant drizzle made for very difficult handling.

The Australians were marched back on several occasions for questioning the bizarre rulings of Mr Ganson. The Australian captain upon questioning a decision was sent to the sin bin. A second Australian player was sent to the Sin Bin late in the first half. AGAIN for questioning Mr Ganson.

The game had no flow but was a defensive battle. The Australians defending their own line brilliantly when down to 12 men. England employed an excellent kicking game in the constant drizzle and were denied a try when Lyne lost control of a short chipped ball over the try line.

What little ball Australia had in the attacking zone they made better use of and were able to pass the ball far more fluently. Something they should have done more often IMO. England were very good defensively. Our centres again looked poor for International top class RL. Laithwaite looked an accomplished professional.

The half sadly belonged to Mr Ganson
The Australians took control in the opening stages of the second half, scoring two quick converted tries before the 50 minute mark to take the scores to 24-12. It could have been worse for England when Australian winger Jacob Gagan broke free in his own 20 with no one in front of him, but an heroic effort from Reece Lyne stopped Gagan two meters short of the line.
The Aussies started the second half with 12 men but outplayed England on the back of two very threatening half backs. Minus George Burgess, England lacked punch. A couple of penalties went to Australia via Mr Ganson and they started to score points. A repeat set when Matty Russell was forced into touch after fielding a kick saw Aus start to dominate. England finally got some good ball but a short grubber was picked up by the Aus winger on his own try line who just evaded one tackle on the half way line before the impressive Lynne hauled him down 2 yards from the line. A fantastic effort by Lynne. The Aussie flyer did not seem very fast but Lynne is.
From then on England took charge with Academy captain Adam Milner seizing control and leading his side to victory. With the scores at 30-18 and only ten minutes left to go, Milner broke through the middle to set up Matthew Sarsfield who scored under the posts to make it 30-24 after England’s Sam Powell had his score cancelled out by Australian captain Paul Carter.
The game became messy with Mr Ganson again stealing the limelight from what is meant to be a RL game. The Australians really struggled in the second half to deal with high kicks. A ploy England employed far more often and better than Australia. Some nice variety such as kicking straight from a scrum was utilised. Generally kicking was our greatest weapon with our outside backs unable to penetrate the Australian defensive line. Evans from Warrington was particularly poor. With ball in hand Australia were the better team but did not or could not move the ball wide with England blatantly offside, often by several yards. At times Sam Powell was standing in the Australian line.

The official report IMO is incorrect. IIRC it was Greg Burke that slipped a pass in the tackle leading to a try not Milner. Greg looked very good at times albeit his choice of footwear needs looking at given the amount of times he slipped during the game. The return of Milner and Burgess definetly created impetus for England and the gaps came straight up the middle. Australia lost badly in the front row. Sam Powell scored from a charge down IIRC. Time stood still, no whistle, Sam took his try well. He may not be a razzle dazzle cut you open scrum half but Powell is a very good organising full back with an astute kicking game.

Australia looked like they got arrogant with possession and complacent. Yes they had far more skill but a forward trying to grubber an England knock on through from 35 yards out and then gifting possession back is not how to kill a game. Australia hadn't learnt from their recent game with NZ where they turned a big lead into a 2nd half defeat.
Milner broke through again moments later to create a platform for his Castleford Tigers teammate Jordan Thompson to score. Gareth O’Brien missed the conversion which kept the score at 30-28, but Milner earned his side a penalty seconds later which O’Brien slotted over with ease to bring the sides level.
Mr Ganson reared his head again. The penalties started flowing. A 2pt lead to the Aussies was overturned by disgraceful referee that some may question the legitimacy of. 4th or 5th tackle, not even junior steal a ball, certainly not accomplished junior internationals. In the wet, constant drizzle conditions lost ball was inevitable. Mr Ganson decided Milner had the ball stolen on the half way line. The Australian questioned Mr Ganson and were inevitably and for the seventh ? time marched a further 10 yards turning a penalty into a kickable penalty which was then converted and the scores were levelled.
In the dying minutes, England’s Sam Powell latched on to his own kick to make it 34-30 and O’Brien added the extras before scoring another penalty to give the England side a hard fought and well deserved 38-30 victory.
Mr Ganson was really enjoying himself now. A very sad incident and one no match official should ever feel proud of turned the game in the dying minutes.

Australia had pushed England onto their own try line. An awful pass, high looping was thrown to Burgess. An Australia defender rushed up to make the tackle. Burgess is an impressive player but what he did has no place in his game. Seeing the defender coming at him, he thrust his forearm/elbow (more forearm - I was sat in line) into the neck of the tackler who went down grasping at his throat. Burgess deliberately thrust that elbow and knew exactly what he was doing because from my position I watched him look to see the player coming to tackle him and purposelly thrust forarm / elbow at him.

A straight red should have followed and a lengthy suspension. However, Mr Ganson stopped play not for that challenge but for an injured England player elsewhere. The Aussies lost the plot and were signally use of the forearm/elbow to which Mr Ganson totally ignored.

Having 'lost it', the Aussies then sought retribution. First a punch on Burgess in the tackle conceded a penalty. THen around the half way line an Aussie tried an Andy Gregory style jump tackle which the powerful Burgess easily broke through to set up field position. A loose ball from a kick saw Sam Powell score the winning try. A 6 point lead became an insurmountable 8 point lead when Mr Ganson awarded an easily kickable penalty.
Speaking after the game, England Academy Head Coach Dave Elliott said, “I’m really proud of all the boys. They have really dug in deep today. At 30-18 down they could easily have caved in but they showed a lot of effort to come back.
Indeed fantastic effort by England
“We wanted to prove some people wrong. There have been people saying that the Australian’s are much better than us and that they are a more talented side, but we’ve got some skill in our team and our boys wanted to show that.
The Aussies are a better Rugby team. Our forwards and halfbacks held their own. Outside backs we still lag behind.
“We withstood everything they threw at us and then some. There are some big units in their side but there are some big talented guys in our squad as well and I think that was a fantastic game for all the fans to watch.
The Aus front row was poor. Burgess dominated them. Many of the back rowers were tall and lean and not best suited to Britain. Australia have some huge forwards but where were they? Back home. The Aus captain is a Paul Gallen clone. Good player.

It wasn't a fantastic game. Mr Ganson ruined it.
“Adam Milner put in a real captains knock today and James Laithwaite got man of the match which I think four of five people could have won.
Milner was excellent. He should be playing for Cas first this season week in week out. Laithwait whom I have not seen much of really impressed. Very solid. If Wire do not play him, lease him out to a top Championship team or even London / Crusaders.

“We know the jobs only half done now though. We would love to win a test series against the Australians and the lads are all very focused on winning the series, not just this test.”

Tickets for the second Test between England Academy and Australian Schoolboys at The Jungle, Castleford on Friday, December 10, cost £3 Adult and £2 Concession.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:That's weird CP. Other reports give Ganson a good game.

As for what happened to him, well nothing happened to him. He had no case to answer and presumably he will be reffing as usual next season.

You were obviously there though, I wasn't. Was he worse than Archer?
It was a farce KW and for not acting in the final minutes when Burgess thrust his forearm illegally into the throat of a would be tackler is the lowest of the low for a referee. You can be garbage but if the welfare of players is seemingly being sacrificed by a maniac despot you really have to question how you look at yourself in the mirror.

I played sport in a disgusting vile manner. I did all manner of things. I was taught by a man who was even worse than I was. One thing I know / understand is foul play. Match officials are there to deal with it when they do not the game becomes anarchic. IMO the Australians are now 'soft' when it comes to foul play. Whether or not their own game has been too sanatised they struggle now as regards how to react. Sometimes fighting fire with fire is the only option. As far as referees go. Again, chirping / asking repeatedly is a poor option. You need to blow to a point the referee is virtually reaching for a red card.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TSB wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The game was farcical, destroyed by one Mr Ganson. I actually felt sorry for the Aussies by the end. England played well but conditions were really difficult. Damn cold and constant drizzle. Why was Ganson even given such a game after what has happened to him. We cannot complain about Aus referees when ours do exactly the same and worse.
Like lambs to the slaughter :conf: The ill disipline of the Aussies was there for all to see . Nothing to do with Ganson. England were the better team . Cant wait for next week.
We must have watched a different game TSB
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

What a load of bunkum by cpwigan.

All Ganson did was deal with the ill discipline and rough house tactics of the young Aussies who as usual tried to have all their own way.

Apart from Laithwaite who won the man of the match award, George Burgess and our own Sam Powell were also outstanding.

The way cpwigan has gone over thre top about Ganson sounds as though he bears some kind of grudge against him or is he a aussie.

Well done, lads. You restored a bit of pride back into our International scene.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What a load of bunkum by cpwigan.

All Ganson did was deal with the ill discipline and rough house tactics of the young Aussies who as usual tried to have all their own way.

Apart from Laithwaite who won the man of the match award, George Burgess and our own Sam Powell were also outstanding.

The way cpwigan has gone over thre top about Ganson sounds as though he bears some kind of grudge against him or is he a aussie.

Well done, lads. You restored a bit of pride back into our International scene.

Yes telling the truth is bunkum. I call it as I see it. People do not like objectivity though as long as the end result serves their means.

Winning a game without requiring a referee to conspire against the opposition is fundamental to winning. Othertwise winning is hollow. It is no good British RL fans crying about 4N Refereeing and then turning a blind eye when we do exactly the same and worse.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

How did Russell go at fullback? Don't recall having seen him play there before.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TEW when the match official behaves in such a manner he is lucky he does not get chinned. When he acts so disgracefully then I am afraid he gets all the foul mouthed abuse he deserves. I would not have blamed the Aussies for walking off.

I hope the next match is tight until the 80th minute otherwise somebody could end the game with a very bad injury all stemming from a disgraceful match officials effort in the previous game.

Alibert as a neutral should referee these games.

Matty. He did nothing wrong but nothing exceptional either. His footwork was the most impressive aspect. He is incredibly hard to put a tough shot on. However, conditions were awful. Henare Wells the Aus FB is a real flyer but he struggled in the conditions at times. Lots of handling errors from both teams in the condition. The Welsh Wire centre was the biggest culprit and after being impressed watching him at Orrell. He looked out of his depth in this game.