Heinz

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

Heinz

Post by cpwigan »

Am I alone in think the Heinz Workers are crazy to even be considering striking?
Kittwazzer

Re: Heinz

Post by Kittwazzer »

No. But I can't see it happening. Seems they threaten this at least every couple of years but when push comes to shove, they know which side their bread is buttered!

Don't know how many beanery men you know but, living 100 yards away, I know loads. And BOY do they love their money: when they get together its all they ever talk about! :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And they get paid a fair bit too!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exactly. For the skill / education required a job at Heinz is fantastically well paid with the inherent job security that the call for a strike seems to want to threaten.
jobo

Post by jobo »

They'd probably get more work done if they did go on strike.

I can say that because I know so many of them. They live in a dream world of easy work, security, protected pension, sick pay, great terms and conditions, staff shop, subsidized canteen, loads of holidays and a claim culture that beggars belief.

Just jealous really.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Things can rapidly change. Not long ago all the big factories in Hull treated their staff amazingly well. 6am til 2pm or 2pm til 10pm contracts with an hour paid lunch and subsidised canteen. Overtime was always available paid at double time (TRIPLE time on Sundays).

Eastern European agency staff started covering overtime but soon went FT too, even when trade was booming they made existing staff redundant then took them back on a few weeks later, reduced contracts, no overtime, less holiday pay.

Threat of action would have forced a rethink because Asda or Tesco would simply cancel the contract and go elsewhere. Nobody acted so people who were earning decent money and have mortgages are really struggling, eviction notices are everywhere. Whether they actually strike or not, the management to be reminded regularly the staff are willing to do it. Give them an inkling changes will be accepted and they'll make more and more.

Many skilled workers went into the industry rather than getting a 'trade' 20 or more years ago because of earning's potential and there'll be people at Heinz who did the same. They demonstrate far more loyalty than the directors who often move between rival companies on huge salaries. Taking on new staff for peanuts is bad enough but ANY change to existing terms needs defending or it won't be long before they make more and Wigan ends up poorer affecting everyone.

The local economy needs Heinz and Wiganers should, imo, give the staff their full support or shops will be closed or replaced with Pound, pawn and Polish shops. The recession can't be blamed here because sales of fish, the main industry, has continued to grow consistently for years.

I used to defend Hull but over 3yrs the place has become unbearable. Eastern European immigration is a huge issue. The Hungarians upstairs and Poles next door I get on with really well as they want to be part of England not turn England into Eastern Europe. The local newsagent, however, doesn't speak a word of English and charges (probably only the English according to some Trading standards findings) nearly £1 for a pint of milk.

Loud Eastern European music blasts out nightly, a locally funded seating area is full of Vodka-drinking Poles all day every day and if I have my window open on a night I get woken up 3 or 4 times a week with them either arguing or simply shouting across the street. In 7 years I've only been woken up once by an English couple who were arguing. If local workers had defended their rights, I'd probably still be saying how much I like Hull.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Short version for KW:

Heinz staff should strike if you want to sleep on a night and you don't want Wigan to end up poor, full of foreigners and foreign shops, Cash Converters and eviction notices. Hull was ok now its crap.

Sorry if its a bit long. :)
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Gaz IMO the Heinz workers are taking the P to even be considering a strike. Thet gets treated fantastically and their actions may jeopardise the future of the Wigan plant and one of the very few remaining sources of mass employment for future generations. Totally selfish short termism.

Even some Union officials think the workers are acting stupidly.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

gpartin wrote:Short version for KW:

Heinz staff should strike if you want to sleep on a night and you don't want Wigan to end up poor, full of foreigners and foreign shops, Cash Converters and eviction notices. Hull was ok now its crap.

Sorry if its a bit long. :)
:lol:
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

In what way are they acting stupidly please CP, asking for changes to be made or reacting to change being introduced?

Although it might seem trivial its not always a bad idea to resist any negative changes to terms because otherwise you get companies changing things 'little and often' in the hope they're not in themselves bad enough to get everyone wanting to strike but over a period of time they can make massive changes through the backdoor.

I'm a bit baffled by what you said about the union officials mate. Are you implying in what you're saying that some union officials ARE agreeing with the workers? If so they shouldn't they be publicly united not giving the impression they don't have union support if there are ongoing negotiations? If Heinz might as well just tell the workforce they're doing what they're doing and if they go on strike they'll lose their jobs.