England v ASSRL 2nd Test Most dominant English / British effort in my lifetime

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

England v ASSRL 2nd Test Most dominant English / British effort in my lifetime

Post by cpwigan »

For the first time in my life I have seen England play like Australia and vica versa. Ignore the scoreline, it simply does not reflect just how dominant England truly were with the bemused Aussies playing high risk catch up rugby from virtually the start.

Better still conditions were great (LSV pitch was in fine nick) and the referee was in the background throughout. Totally objective and he did an excellent job. Step up Mr Thaler. The days of odious ADHD referees are long gone N.B Mr Ganson.

George Burgess and Milner whilst good were not the best by a long way in a terrific team effort. Indeed, you could argue England played their best RL without them.

Wigan Boys did us proud.

Sam Powell is a strange one. No fancy dan and never likely to do a Sam Tomkins but this kid does far too many good things not be an excellent player. Fantastic kicking game, great chaser of kicks, class defender but most important an old style general scrum half leading / directing his team.

Greg Burke Top drawer. Where will he end up. A fantastically strong build. Solid but more height than the short stocky types you normally associate with his power. Here is the puzzle. A forward with brains and brawn. A player who is intelligent academically but knows RL like a University Professor. He can hit it up hard etc but the real crux is he can pop passes / offloads / he can read play / bring support runners in. Prop or Second row I simply do not know where he will end up playing but I will tell you this he will be playing first team in the next 4 years.

Ryan King. Seems to have had a growth spurt post 16 and is still silky smooth and fast but now a bit more solid physically. Plays smart.

Matty Russell. Far more confident this week and outstanding at full back his junior RL position.

From Wire; The 2 Evans boys did very well. The forward along with Laithwaite worked like trojans. The blonde haired back is slightly vulnerable defensively because he is not a RL player by nature coming from Wales and that showed for Aus first try but boy he is a great build and has pace to burn with lovely balance and a step. Wire need to be promoting these young men sooner rather than later.

Phil80

Re: England v ASSRL 2nd Test Most dominant English / British effort...

Post by Phil80 »

Well said CP, great performance and the future looks bright!

GeoffN

Re: England v ASSRL 2nd Test Most dominant English / British effort in my lifetime

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:For the first time in my life I have seen England play like Australia and vica versa. Ignore the scoreline, it simply does not reflect just how dominant England truly were with the bemused Aussies playing high risk catch up rugby from virtually the start.

Better still conditions were great (LSV pitch was in fine nick) and the referee was in the background through. Totally objective and he did an excellent job. Step up Mr Thaler. The days of odious ADHD referees are long gone N.B Mr Ganson.

George Burgess and Milner whilst good were not the best by a long way in a terrific team effort. Indeed, you could argue England played their best RL without them.

Wigan Boys did us proud.

Sam Powell is a strange one. No fancy dan and never likely to do a Sam Tomkins but this kid does far too many good things not be an excellent player. Fantastic kicking game, great chaser of kicks, class defender but mosty important an old style general scrum half leading / directing his team.

Greg Burke Top drawer. Where will he end up. A fantastically strong build. Solid but more height than thw short stocky types you normally associate with his power. Here is the puzzle. A forward with brains and brawn. A player who is intelligent academically but knows RL like a University Professor. He can hit it up hard etc but the real crux is he can pop passes / offloads / he can read play / bring support runners in. Prop or Second row I simply do not know where he will end up playing but I will tell you this he will be playing first team in the next 4 years.

Ryan King. Seems to have had a growth spurt post 16 and is still silky smooth and fast but now a bit more solid physically. Plays smart.

Matty Russell. Far more confident this week and outstanding at full back his junior RL position.

From Wire; The 2 Evans boys did very well. The forward along with Laithwaite worked like trojans. The blonde haired back is slightly vulnerable defensively because he is not a RL player by nature coming from Wales and that showed for Aus first try but boy he is a great build and has pace to burn with lovely balance and a step. Wire need to be promoting these young men sooner rather than later.

Cheers for that summary, cp! I've rated the 4 Wigan lads you mention for quite a while, and that sums them up pretty well. Glad to see they can make the step up to international level, not that I ever doubted they would.
Interesting competition between Mellor & Powell now for the next half-back spot that comes available.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

16 TEW if very tall lean was Gadd.

Geoff if we needed to I would have no hesitation in playing Sam Powell at scrum half for the odd game in the first team. He has something about him. We all get carried away by flashy players but when you watch him it's like a smart play / tick another smart play tick. He seems to have grown a tad too. His kicking skill is fantastic. He was spiralling his bombs tonight.
The Eclipse

Post by The Eclipse »

Phil80 wrote:Well said CP, great performance and the future looks bright!

Anymore pics mate ?
Panchitta Marra

Re: England v ASSRL 2nd Test Most dominant English / British effort in my lifetime

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:For the first time in my life I have seen England play like Australia and vica versa. Ignore the scoreline, it simply does not reflect just how dominant England truly were with the bemused Aussies playing high risk catch up rugby from virtually the start.

Better still conditions were great (LSV pitch was in fine nick) and the referee was in the background through. Totally objective and he did an excellent job. Step up Mr Thaler. The days of odious ADHD referees are long gone N.B Mr Ganson.

Wigan Boys did us proud.

Sam Powell is a strange one. No fancy dan and never likely to do a Sam Tomkins but this kid does far too many good things not be an excellent player. Fantastic kicking game, great chaser of kicks, class defender but mosty important an old style general scrum half leading / directing his team.

Greg Burke Top drawer. Where will he end up. A fantastically strong build. Solid but more height than thw short stocky types you normally associate with his power. Here is the puzzle. A forward with brains and brawn. A player who is intelligent academically but knows RL like a University Professor. He can hit it up hard etc but the real crux is he can pop passes / offloads / he can read play / bring support runners in. Prop or Second row I simply do not know where he will end up playing but I will tell you this he will be playing first team in the next 4 years.

So much for "The English Lambs to the slaughter" as you initially predicted CP. :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:

Wigan Boys did us proud.

So much for "The English Lambs to the slaughter" as you initially predicted CP. :lol:
Very much PM. We all get it wrong occasionally. Even I am not infalible. I just get it right far more than most :wink: The big issue is how many of these talents will be fast tracked into SL in 2010/2011? What has happened in the past is the Australian youngsters are playing first grade, making progress whilst our talents are left stationary in reserves.

Castleford have a quality young hooker. An old fashioned solid centre (yet they are trying to sign a never was / second rate Aus to play centre)

Bradford have an exciting hooker. They have had George Burgess all 2009 / 2010 and despite being awful how often did they select him.

How many first grade games will Laithwaite and the Evans twins get in 2010/2011?
Phil80

Post by Phil80 »

The Eclipse wrote:
Phil80 wrote:Well said CP, great performance and the future looks bright!

[/img]
Anymore pics mate ?
Only got a couple mate and on my phone so they arent that good

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote: How many first grade games will Laithwaite and the Evans twins get in 2010/2011?
It caused a bit of a stir in NWC when Warrington brought the Evans twins up from S.Wales and placed them with Burtonwood :) IIRC, they went to Sankey High and made quite an impact for the school team. I first saw them when I went to watch my nephew playing for St Peters. He had to come off with a sprained ankle in the dying minutes. Soon as the final whistle went, they both shot over to the touchline to shake his hand first. Two of the nicest lads I have ever met! BTW, Ben is the forward, Rhys is the fair haired centre.

But you raise a fair point CP. Warrington's propensity for expensive established players doesn't do a lot to encourage the youngsters, a point you have now raised twice about George Burgess, also a twin.

I'm just glad we seem to be getting the mix right as opposed to the old days were our over-hyped journeymen were humiliated by our 'rejects' on a regular basis!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:

Wigan Boys did us proud.

Very much PM. We all get it wrong occasionally. Even I am not infalible. I just get it right far more than most :wink: The big issue is how many of these talents will be fast tracked into SL in 2010/2011? What has happened in the past is the Australian youngsters are playing first grade, making progress whilst our talents are left stationary in reserves.

Castleford have a quality young hooker. An old fashioned solid centre (yet they are trying to sign a never was / second rate Aus to play centre)

Bradford have an exciting hooker. They have had George Burgess all 2009 / 2010 and despite being awful how often did they select him.

How many first grade games will Laithwaite and the Evans twins get in 2010/2011?
This wasnt a snipe at you CP, the feeling for me is the possitive performances put in by the English lads against what we would all probably class as far superior oposition.
As you say, its a pity it doesnt appear to be transferred over at Superleague level.