flaw in penalty try rule?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
THE 18th Man

flaw in penalty try rule?

Post by THE 18th Man »

i've been wondering for a while about this rule.
as we all know Ganson gave a penalty try in the World Cup Final even though the player didnt have the ball a penalty try was given becuase it was believed he could get to the ball and ground it before the defence stopped him. the problem i have is a couple of times late in last season (i think one was Daz Goulding and the other Tommy Leuluai) the ball was stripped by a defence player before Daz or Tommy could put the ball down and if that hadn't happened then we would have scored a try. so why is a penalty try given when the player is believed to be beating the defender to the ball rather than the defender ripping it out in the act of a try being scored?

and on a off topic note:
Merry Xmas to all on the site and thank you to the club for making more christmas present options this years with all the stuff with CHAMPIONS on it
ancientnloyal

Re: flaw in penalty try rule?

Post by ancientnloyal »

I was wondering that... in the Grand Final Leuluai's effort was stripped in the second half... he had a tackler at the legs and as he was crossing the line the ball was stripped ( we ended up having Piggy miss a penalty) - would that not be a PT? It would have been fine if the defender held or covered the ball up but it was a blatant strip in a 2 man tackle over the line.

Im clueless when it comes to PT, see them rarely.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cummings and the RFL changed the rule so that you can now strip the ball is the player is in the act of scoring. The act of scoring being the process of going over the line / in the in goal etc.

Personally I think you should have to be in the ingoal area otherwise as you rightly say the rule is an anomaly.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It was changed because the defender has to try to prevent the ball from being grounded, so they always have to get hands on the ball. It was not fair that if the ball comes out in this situation the defender could be penalised for a ball steal and potentially a penalty try given when they have no option but to try and prevent the attacker getting the ball down. I think its a fair compromise.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wiganrldeanh

Post by wiganrldeanh »

cpwigan wrote:Cummings and the RFL changed the rule so that you can now strip the ball is the player is in the act of scoring. The act of scoring being the process of going over the line / in the in goal etc.

Personally I think you should have to be in the ingoal area otherwise as you rightly say the rule is an anomaly.
As far as I am aware you still cannot strip the ball even when in the process of scoring, it is just that the punishment is only a penalty, not a penalty try.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

wiganrldeanh wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Cummings and the RFL changed the rule so that you can now strip the ball is the player is in the act of scoring. The act of scoring being the process of going over the line / in the in goal etc.

As far as I am aware you still cannot strip the ball even when in the process of scoring, it is just that the punishment is only a penalty, not a penalty try.
Correct Dean
botica

Post by botica »

Did the international rules still stay with the PT rule which was why Ganson awarded it in an international game?
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

botica wrote:Did the international rules still stay with the PT rule which was why Ganson awarded it in an international game?
I stand ready to be corrected, but I thought the rule was changed after that.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09