NOBLE OFFERED MOVIE ROLE

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

NOBLE OFFERED MOVIE ROLE

Post by josie andrews »

Former Great Britain coach Brian Noble has been offered an advisory role in the film about Gareth Thomas, who is to be played by Hollywood actor Mickey Rourke.

Rourke, who became a fan of rugby league after watching the 2009 Challenge Cup final, is keen to make the portrayal of Thomas, who is the first professional rugby player to announce he is gay, as realistic as possible.

Noble, who coached Thomas in his first season as a rugby league player with Crusaders, has held talks with the film's writer and will meet Rourke next month to discuss his role.

Emanuele Palladino, Thomas' manager, said: "Everyone in the game of rugby across both codes knows what a larger-than-life character Nobby is. He is a legend in the game and a true one-off.

"Gareth and Mickey want the rugby scenes to be as realistic as possible and Brian's role will be to make sure that happens.

"His role will be to liaise with Gareth and Mickey Rourke himself, who is extremely hands on and passionate about this role.

"Brian will be looking to recruit players for the role across both codes and make sure that the rugby playing scenes in the film are as accurate and credible as possible."

Filming is due to start this summer and Rourke is apparently considering having two front teeth removed to increase the likeness to Thomas.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: NOBLE OFFERED MOVIE ROLE

Post by josie andrews »

Deary me :exc:

I can think of other players who are more worthy to have a film made about them :roll:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Brian Noble goes to Hollywood!

Post by BriH »

I kid you not, unless the article in "Wigan Today" is wrong.
Mickey Rourke to play Gareth Thomas with BN acting as consultant.
Does this open the door for a launch of similar movies?
"The life of Piggy" for example?
Kittwazzer

Re: Brian Noble goes to Hollywood!

Post by Kittwazzer »

BriH wrote:I kid you not, unless the article in "Wigan Today" is wrong.
Mickey Rourke to play Gareth Thomas with BN acting as consultant.
Does this open the door for a launch of similar movies?
"The life of Piggy" for example?
I think the human interest element in the Gareth Thomas story is equivalent to David Watkins switching codes and inspiring Brian Finch to write 'Fallen Hero'!
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

This is, apparently legit.

I'm baffled how Mickey Rouke (who is 59) can possibly play Gareth Thomas (who is 36) with any credability. Surely the rugby parts will be done in flashback. Surely?
Pharabus

Post by Pharabus »

given Mickey Rourke's penchant for method acting I expect him to sign for a Super League team very soon in order to "become" the role!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

josie andrews wrote:Deary me :exc:

I can think of other players who are more worthy to have a film made about them :roll:
I agree. While any publicity for RL is obviously good, it's a pity that it's mainly his sexuality that makes him worthy of having a film made about him.

Having two teeth removed to play the part is a bit drastic, though! True devotion to the art!
OJ

Post by OJ »

BriH wrote:"The life of Piggy" for example?
Trust us to get stuck with the life of Brian! Just hope he doesn't get to appear in the film in any speaking part - not sure what filmgoers would make of one of his speeches about rattling pots and pans and the like :blush:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OJ

Post by OJ »

BriH wrote:"The life of Piggy" for example?
Joel Monaghan in Lassie come home or The Dogs of War?

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Filming is due to start this summer and Rourke is apparently considering having two front teeth removed to increase the likeness to Thomas.
I cannot think of two people who look more different. Removing 2 teeth will do nothing to change that.