Re: RL and RU

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Only if they adapt their game to effectively make it the same as League, and even then our players will be light years ahead of theirs.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
jobo

Post by jobo »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Had a real alcohol induced argument on Friday night with People who think league will disappear in the next 10 years or so and be replaced by union as it is thought the union game is changing considerably and the rules changing to be more attacking.

My answers where short and sharp and unrepeatable but what do people genuinly think on here as I know some of you have played or have family playing yawnion ?
Been there done that. Played both codes, union is changing, no doubt about it. They are basically taking everything good from RL, thats been developed over the past 100 plus years or so and claiming it as their own.

Must say though, the game itself (RU), especially at club level has improved no end but it's still wallowing in the dark ages compared to League.

League will not disappear in the next 10 years, no way, but my fear is that apart from sky no other TV station cares a jot about us. As the media in whatever form seems to control all (none thinking) public opinion nowadays, this for me would be the worrying thing.

Still, just looking at how league is in France, despite a vicious Vichy government in connivance with the Nazis and French RU couldn't wipe the game out in La Belle Françoise’s, then I think we are pretty safe for the next 100 years or so.

Keep the faith, eventually the rest of the world will come to realise that they've been mislead and RL is truly the greatest game of all. There isn't a sporting spectacle any where in the world to compare.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Union is changing but what Union fans do not realise is that the change taking place is dynamic and at the moment the defences are still not good enough to stop long range tries etc. However, it is changing and in a season, two max defence will be so much on top the Union fans will hate it.
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

RU - "The game played in heaven" they claim ?
Maybe this is because you have to be dead,(or in a coma) to appreciate it as a spectator game.Even with the league-lizing of their tactics it is STILL boring when compared to RL.Only the endless cash poured into the quazi international super whatever league is what appears to be keeping it afloat.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Ask anyone from Wigan,St Helens,Salford,Leeds,Huddersfield,Castleford,Wakefield etc what game they would rather watch and wait for the reaction. Enough said! We will never see eye to eye with those that wish to promote yawnion in our neck of the woods.Like-wise League to the yawnion brigade.Born a to Rugby League and will never be converted to a game that sends me to sleep before the whistle as even been blown. :D
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

A few years back, the cock-eyed president of the Oz ru(john oneill), in desperation of all their efforts to catch up with League, appealed for financial support from govt/sponsors/public, etc. to buy up all the NRL Clubs, lock, stock & smoking barrel and TURN them into rugby union clubs.
He imagined he'd be able to convert all the fans - the press had a field day! Such are the dreams of a ru bigot.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Union is not that big / important in Aus IMO. Money wise IIRC they were trying to cut costs reducing how much they pay star players etc. Certainly, compared to France, Italy, Japan, RU in Aus seems financially a poor cousin.

League will always be a better game IMO but hey I am biased. What the heck :)