Super Coach :::Wanted

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Super Coach :::Wanted

Post by Kittwazzer »

In summary, Madge had an excellent first season and is contracted for a further two, which he intends to see out as his work here is not yet finished.

Nothing we didn't know already. Seems a reporter was desperate for something to write and couldn't find any news!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan's chairman, Ian Lenagan, has made a pre-emptive strike against likely approaches to the Super League champions' coach, Michael Maguire, from several clubs in his native Australia. Maguire, who guided Wigan to their first title since 1998 in his first season after joining them from Craig Bellamy's support staff at the Melbourne Storm, has already been linked with several vacancies that could arise following further speculation over the weekend that Wayne Bennett will leave the St George Illawarra Dragons at the end of the 2011 season.

Lenagan stressed that Maguire is not halfway through his three-year deal, saying: "Michael's here for the long-term and his commitment to Wigan is exemplary. His impact on Super League last year was very special and we're delighted about the way things worked.

Andy Wilson - Grauniad
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

bellyache has stated that at the end of his current contract he'll probably retire.I think madge comes off contract around the same time ?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan's Grand-Final winning coach Michael Maguire has dismissed speculation linking him with a quick return to Australia's National Rugby League.

The former Melbourne Storm assistant has emerged as a contender for a host of vacancies set to emerge in Australia following news of Wayne Bennett's likely move from St George Illawarra.

Bennett is out of contract with the 2010 premiers at the end of the coming season, with South Sydney favourites to land his services for 2012, and his departure is set to spark a coaching merry-go-round.

Maguire's achievements at the DW Stadium, where he guided the Warriors to their first Grand Final triumph for 14 years in his first season in Super League, have not gone unnoticed in Australia but he is under contract with Wigan for another two years.

"I'm very happy here and I'm signed here so I'm staying," said Maguire at Monday's launch of the new season at Old Trafford.

"It's very flattering. You're always going to get speculation in coaching circles but I'm focused on what I'm doing here at Wigan.

"I don't look too far ahead. I'm concentrating on what we're doing this weekend."

Meanwhile, Maguire is confident his team can cope with the pressure of defending their trophy as they prepare for Saturday's opening game against St Helens, the Grand Final runners-up.

"I've been lucky enough to be at a team in the past that has been chased for many years," he said.

"I'm looking forward to it and I know the players are. I think they're more hungry now than they ever have been."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

KW you should really put the link to wherever you got your news story from.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... ml&BID=480
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

josie andrews wrote:KW you should really put the link to wherever you got your news story from.
sorted :D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields