Sell Goulding

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kol

Sell Goulding

Post by Kol »

The whole team did a fantastic job against StG...er...except that TW@ Goulding, he ran round like a headless chicken.

All 3 tries went straight through him.

As much use as a good cliche.

No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
cpwigan

Re: Sell Goulding

Post by cpwigan »

Jesus what an awful post I was going to start a post re the assassination of Goulding. A totally stupid and incorrect one I may add but jeez this post takes the prize for worst post in 2011. Are you Brian Noble in disguise.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ridiculous post!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

Whilst we are at it let's sell Amos for the horrendous pass. And why don't we sell Stuart for being injured? :doz:

Jog on son. Goulding had a hell of a job on his hands on Sunday and it didn't help having a half fit centre alongside him.

Goulding was nearly top try scorer last year or had you forgotten already?
Up The Mont!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I watched the game again last night. Some people whose views I respect thought our wingers were poor. I disagree personally.

Defending at centre / wing has now become an incredibly difficult job. You see time and time again how various England outside backs are seemingly made to look stupid. In many respect I think defending 1 and 2 is now the most challenging job in RL.

Both wingers had pluses in the game. Both evaded contact and found the ground quickly. Both took the ball up frequently and never shirked. Goulding probably adged Amos overall. At the very highest level I do not think Goulding is a winger. A centre possibly. He lacks the searing pace of a winger but what do you do. Kevin Penny has that pace but is hopeless defensively. In SL, Goulding is a fantastic winger but we were up against the best team in the world.

I do not think the clowns at SKY help. Only Phil Clarke got it right whereas Hemmings was clueless in his assertion that St George were targetting Wigan's right. Anybody who watches St George in the NRL knows that they target nobody. They simply attack left, left, left and more left. Everybody knows it yet they still score try after try in the NRL. You have to give St George credit. They move the ball so fast, so accurately and their timing is perfect. On the end you then have the sublime Morris. He scores tries for fun in the NRL and internationally.

Again Cullen was rabbiting on in Boots n All about wingers letting their opposing winger get on their outside and Stvo was prattling about numbering up. I honerstly think both live in the dark ages. The game has changed if that was ever the case. Billy Boston and Mick Sullivan were famous for their up and in defence. They never remained with their man leaving a gaping hole inside etc. How on earth can you number up. There will always be more attackers than defenders on one side of the pitch.

The way Wigan defend has worked v SL opposition and guess what Wigan defend exactly like St George. If anything St george show even more space on the outside. Australian coaches work on the principle that the more times a team has to move the ball and do so under pressure the more mistakes they will make. The touchline is treated as an extra defender. Wingers jam in and up to kill the ball before it gets to the wing. The idea being that the winger getting in the faces of the opposition allows the centre, second row time to come around and cover along with the full back.

St George did exactly what our wingers did but we could not take advantage and often our winger got a poor pass that ended up in the stand or with them being bundled into touch.

St George's left side attack is the best in RL. Morris scored ione try by getting on the outside of Goulding. The inside defence being out of position leads to wingers being exposed. The Morris try we failed to do our job inside, somebody even slipped and they punished us. Sy George are clinical. The second half Goulding sometimes had 3 v 1 and he delayed the break enough for Joel to make 2 great tackles. His defensive ploy nearly resulted in an intercept try. He was knocked senseless in the 2nd half and still made a tackle.

The worst winger on the pitch was Nightingale who IMO is a fabulous winger.

We lost to an outstanding team and every players made bad errors that built up and cost us. St George started making less errors and executed far far better to deserve their win.
georgeorwell

Post by georgeorwell »

Cheap shot Kol
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

georgeorwell wrote:Cheap shot Kol
:eusa2: :eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Stupid podt, almost troll like.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Kol wrote: The whole team did a fantastic job against StG...er...except that TW@ Goulding, he ran round like a headless chicken.

All 3 tries went straight through him.

As much use as a good cliche.

What a stupid crass remark to make.Remember that he was often pulled out of position because of Gleesons injury and his inability to defend as we all know he can.Goulding did a fantastic job in helping to bring silverware to our illustrious club. Did you not recognise that St George are a damned good side and that all the lads deserve a bloody big round of applause not the critisism you are levelling at Goulding. Who next? MM for playing an injured Martin Gleeson or Stuart Fielding for being injured. One of the silliest posts I have read in a long time. Do you read the play of the game or read it in a book? :(
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

cpwigan wrote:I watched the game again last night. Some people whose views I respect thought our wingers were poor. I disagree personally.

Defending at centre / wing has now become an incredibly difficult job. You see time and time again how various England outside backs are seemingly made to look stupid. In many respect I think defending 1 and 2 is now the most challenging job in RL.

Both wingers had pluses in the game. Both evaded contact and found the ground quickly. Both took the ball up frequently and never shirked. Goulding probably adged Amos overall. At the very highest level I do not think Goulding is a winger. A centre possibly. He lacks the searing pace of a winger but what do you do. Kevin Penny has that pace but is hopeless defensively. In SL, Goulding is a fantastic winger but we were up against the best team in the world.

I do not think the clowns at SKY help. Only Phil Clarke got it right whereas Hemmings was clueless in his assertion that St George were targetting Wigan's right. Anybody who watches St George in the NRL knows that they target nobody. They simply attack left, left, left and more left. Everybody knows it yet they still score try after try in the NRL. You have to give St George credit. They move the ball so fast, so accurately and their timing is perfect. On the end you then have the sublime Morris. He scores tries for fun in the NRL and internationally.

Again Cullen was rabbiting on in Boots n All about wingers letting their opposing winger get on their outside and Stvo was prattling about numbering up. I honerstly think both live in the dark ages. The game has changed if that was ever the case. Billy Boston and Mick Sullivan were famous for their up and in defence. They never remained with their man leaving a gaping hole inside etc. How on earth can you number up. There will always be more attackers than defenders on one side of the pitch.

The way Wigan defend has worked v SL opposition and guess what Wigan defend exactly like St George. If anything St george show even more space on the outside. Australian coaches work on the principle that the more times a team has to move the ball and do so under pressure the more mistakes they will make. The touchline is treated as an extra defender. Wingers jam in and up to kill the ball before it gets to the wing. The idea being that the winger getting in the faces of the opposition allows the centre, second row time to come around and cover along with the full back.

St George did exactly what our wingers did but we could not take advantage and often our winger got a poor pass that ended up in the stand or with them being bundled into touch.

St George's left side attack is the best in RL. Morris scored ione try by getting on the outside of Goulding. The inside defence being out of position leads to wingers being exposed. The Morris try we failed to do our job inside, somebody even slipped and they punished us. Sy George are clinical. The second half Goulding sometimes had 3 v 1 and he delayed the break enough for Joel to make 2 great tackles. His defensive ploy nearly resulted in an intercept try. He was knocked senseless in the 2nd half and still made a tackle.

The worst winger on the pitch was Nightingale who IMO is a fabulous winger.

We lost to an outstanding team and every players made bad errors that built up and cost us. St George started making less errors and executed far far better to deserve their win.
Since Sunday this is easily the best post that I have read, either on here or RLFans :eusa2:

The opening poster's is easily the worst.

I have read a lot of rubbish being written blaming Goulding for just about everything. St George created overlap after overlap on their left, as they did throughout last season in the NRL. They were famed for attacking the left constantly and there have been newspaper articles highlighting it. However somehow this is still all down to Goulding.

Goulding could be blamed for one try, the third try for straying too far inside. However even then it is arguable how much this was was because of Gleeson's injury and Goulding having to cover Gleeson because Gleeson couldnt keep up with his centre and it was no coincidence that Gleeson went off straight away after this. Prior to this players were getting on the outside of Gleeson time and again, as he too was left with too many players. They were also doing the same with Joel when he was at centre. The problems stemmed from a long way inside Goulding, Gleeson and Leuluai and I would imagine the second rows and forwards will get the brunt of the blame from Maguire for being lazy in drifting.

No one seems to mention all the tries Goulding saved with ball and all tackles on the centre when faced with 2 v 1. There were at least 3 occasions when the ball went to ground due to tackles by Goulding which prevented the ball being passed to the winger. If Goulding had stayed rooted to his wing and just marked his man then there would have been far more tries scored and the very same people who are criticising him would have still criticised him for standing there and doing nothing. I seriously doubt the people that are trying to blame Goulding have actually played the game as they show no knowledge of it.