Charnley or Marsh or New Signing?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
THE 18th Man

Charnley or Marsh or New Signing?

Post by THE 18th Man »

with the seemingly 'imminent' announcement that Martin Gleesoon is no longer a Wigan player who would people play in that centre spot and why? i was impressed by Charnley today, he looked for work, did a couple of great defence tackles and scored a try but that was on the wing. Marsh who had that centre spot didnt do alot wrong for me either but he just needs a bit more composure when heading to the line but i would definitely promote from within. maybe get a new signing if Carmont retires at the end of the year but for now use one of the two lads mantioned
Kittwazzer

Re: Charnley or Marsh or New Signing?

Post by Kittwazzer »

With all the obvious talent we have in our massive squad, I would be dead against any big money signing. Last 2 seasons have seen Sam and Faz stake their place because of another player's misfortune. Why should 2011 be any different?

I would even bring Mattie Russell in at full back and switch Sam into the threequarters if need be.

We need to promote from within. We have the talent!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Josh Charnley has shown enough potential to make a go of it in the centre position. Its a no brainer for me.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Charnley for me too, really impressed me at Rovers.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I would have thought that we will move Goulding to centre and keep Roberts on the wing for the majority of the season; with Marsh and Charnley playing more and more games
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Webby71

Post by Webby71 »

I've said this before but I'll say it again, I would be looking at adapting Joel into the centre position, he's fast and agile and with his strength and size would give defensives alot of problems, also we have an abundance of talent in the back row, so give him a go and maybe next year if Carmont retires the time may be right for Charnley or Marsh, Charnley for me but to be honest I dont think either are ready just yet.
UnsungPanapa

Post by UnsungPanapa »

Short term on the evidence of last night its a problem because i don't think Charnley or Marsh are ready for the responsibility of playing week in week out right centre and or playing against the top four sides with much more at stake, i have no doubt in time they will fill that role but there not quite ready just yet, Joel isn't agile enough for me but again could be an option, maybe a quality centre could be brought in now as we will at some point need to replace George but not many around in super league at the moment.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I rate both Marsh & Charnley very highly, though I still think Marsh is better on the wing until he learns to pass. I think Joel is probably the best bet, just in order to fit more of our second rows into the side.

Unless we can get a really top class Aussie, which seems unlikely with their season about to start, and all their squads settled, I'd stick with who we've got.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Matthew wrote:I would have thought that we will move Goulding to centre and keep Roberts on the wing for the majority of the season; with Marsh and Charnley playing more and more games
That would be my first choice option. I would not rule out giving Pryce a go either.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

let the 2 young guns battle it out for the position along with Goulding (when Pat gets back), keep Carmont for another year so we still have stability & experience in the center of the field