WCC Article by Mark Gasnier

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

WCC Article by Mark Gasnier

Post by cpwigan »

World Club Challenge

It was a gutsy win on Sunday night, but what a great week it was leading into it.

We arrived on Sunday morning, the 21st February, and based ourselves in London until Thursday. By doing this, it gave us a great opportunity to see the sights, of not only London, but the surrounding countries as well.

Sunday was a tough day trying to stay awake after what was long but a pleasurable flight. Before we left we wanted to have the mindset that when we trained we trained well; firmly focused on the task ahead. But when we did have spare time we would make the most of the opportunity of being in Europe, as not everyone gets that opportunity.

Monday we blew some cobwebs out by playing some fitness games which was much needed. It was short but sharp and did the job.

Tuesday we had the day off so myself and a few of the guys went across to Paris and jumped on some pushbikes, as that's the best way to see the city, even though the driving is like being in Egypt or Thailand. The guys managed to survive, even going around the Arc De Triumph! Others made the most of being in London and took in all the sites.

Wednesday was purely business and probably our toughest training session of the week.

Thursday we trained and then headed up to Manchester where we would be based until kickoff.

Which then leads me to the match itself. It definitely wasn't our most polished performance but it was one that showed a bit of character, especially as the majority of the squad had only played 40 to 60 minutes in either of our trials leading up to the match. And it was against, what I believe to be a high quality opposition in the 2010 Super League champions, the Wigan Warriors. They were very physical and well structured too.

It was an amazing atmosphere at the DW Stadium, as the Wigan fans were very vocal, and it would be pleasing from a Rugby League point of view as well, as it proves League is as strong as ever in northern England.

I think the world club challenge is a great concept and is only going to get bigger. It holds a lot of prestige in the north of England, more than I realized. As far as to where it is played, I'm a big fan of tradition, and traditionally it has always been over there but I will leave that up to administration to decide. I think a lot of credit should go to our staff and management for what was a well organized trip.

Let's hope that hit out has put us in good stead for Round 1, and we hit the ground running as it's only just around the corner.
cpwigan

Re: WCC Article by Mark Gasnier

Post by cpwigan »

it was against, what I believe to be a high quality opposition in the 2010 Super League champions, the Wigan Warriors. They were very physical and well structured too.
It was an amazing atmosphere at the DW Stadium, as the Wigan fans were very vocal, and it would be pleasing from a Rugby League point of view as well, as it proves League is as strong as ever in northern England.
I think the world club challenge is a great concept and is only going to get bigger. It holds a lot of prestige in the north of England, more than I realized. As far as to where it is played, I'm a big fan of tradition, and traditionally it has always been over there but I will leave that up to administration to decide.
Incidentally, the St George approach to preparing for the WCC which was heavily criticised by our hopeless RL media is almost a carbon copy of the one adopted by Wigan in 1994 when we beat Brisbane.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wish every super league game was as great as this one because win or lose it showed the best of rugby league, at an early stage of the season, as well. Both sides gave the lot and played in an excellent spirit.

If the comp. was as competitive as the SGI match, the stadium would be packed all season, but now it's a bit of anti-climax to await wakefield, crusaders, cas, and so on.

Hope something can be sorted to get a meaningful World Club format Home and Away, involving, say, the top 4 in S/L & the NRL.

Over to you, the RFL, you know it makes sense!
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Hope something can be sorted to get a meaningful World Club format Home and Away, involving, say, the top 4 in S/L & the NRL.
It will never happen as long as News Ltd control the NRL & Gallop is in charge.Both are too tight arsed to cough up any money for the concept :angry:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

bourbon_rat wrote:
It will never happen as long as News Ltd control the NRL & Gallop is in charge.Both are too tight arsed to cough up any money for the concept :angry:
Exactly. This WCC was on/off and St George got a fantastic amount of money with negotiations very much in their favour just to make it happen.