Re: Willie Mason

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

He's nothing to fear.

After watching that match against Huddersfield, barring his flukey kick, he had nothing to offer. After driving the ball in, he spent the next 5 minutes with his hands on his knees. He offered nothing in attack and certainly added nothing in defense.

He's not match fit and if HKR come up against a big team firing some, he will get hammered.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

And as far as I am aware, the passport which has been 'expected in the next few days' for the last 6 months, still hasn't arrived. KR could be in an embarrassing situation when Dobson is fit again!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Hull Kingston Rovers colourful import Willie Mason could be about to cut short his stay in Super League after being courted by big-spending French rugby union club Toulon.

The 31-year-old Australian Test forward is just six weeks into a two-year contract with the Robins but, according to reports in France, he visited Toulon last week with his London-based manager Greg Keenan and was spotted having coffee with wealthy club president Mourad Boudjellal.

England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson is already playing for Toulon and he will be joined next season by Springboks forward Bakkies Botha and Wallabies utility back Matt Giteau.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Mason is currently playing in England as an overseas player as he awaits the arrival of his Tongan passport which would enable him to come off the import quota, courtesy of the Cotonou trade treaty.

Hull KR de-registered injured Australian scrum-half Michael Dobson to make way for Mason but he is thought to be close to recovery from ankle surgery, leaving the club with a dilemma if the Tongan passport does not arrive quickly.

Coach Justin Morgan says the club plan to clarify the situation on Wednesday, 48 hours ahead of the second Hull derby of the season.

"There will be a statement tomorrow (Wednesday) from the club that will answer all your questions," Morgan told a press conference.

It is thought Toulon want Mason to follow in the footsteps of his former Canterbury Bulldogs teammate Sonny Bill Williams and play inside centre, having transformed the New Zealander from a rugby league forward to a powerful rugby union three-quarter.

Mason has considered a switch of codes in the past, having spoken to the Waratahs in 2007 and he also visited Japan in 2009 to talk with rugby union clubs.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-spo...1dnny.html
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

If this turns out to be what happens and he does leave, its a disgrace on Mason's part !!

I said from day one that i didn't think he would see the season out but i didn'e think he would leave after 6 weeks, HKR should withold his wages and reg forms !!

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ste. I think HKR have dodged a bullet with this one. His Tongan passport hasn't turned up and Dobson is on the way back. By all accounts, Mason has not lived up to his hype and they could have been stuck with a financially draining white elephant and still unable to play their main playmaker.

Still can't help thinking of the flak if we had tried to pull a stunt like this though. We'd never hear the end of it!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

According the the BBC, KR are "Unaware of any move by Toulon"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 148383.stm

Done deal then.

I thought they were supposed to releasing a statement about Dobson today?
Any news ?
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Hull Kingston Rovers have today released the following statement regarding Willie Mason.

In relation to the Willie Mason passport application, progress has been made over recent days with direct support from the Prime Minister of Tonga and a resolution is expected shortly.

The circumstances surrounding the delay in finalising matters are unique and beyond the clubs control.

Whilst fully appreciating supporters concerns, it would be inappropriate and potentially prejudicial to a short term resolution of matters to comment any further at this stage. The club will, in due course, make a full statement on the matter.

The club are unaware of any approach for Willie Mason from French rugby union and he remains under contract and available for selection.

As and when the situation changes a further statement will follow.

No further comment will be made at this stage.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

Yep, I think it was Mark Carroll who was going to take on all the "soft" 'poms in super league, only to get battered himself every time.
After a year or two of 'punishment' with plenty of time off for injuries & concussion, he flew quietly back to Oz with his tail firmly between his legs.
Don't think he played again afterwards.[/quote]

It was an official from the broncos who said that, not the players. they had signed Carroll and Grant Young from New Zealand who was also a bruiser and one of the club officials said in a paper they were ' going to batter the northern softies'. Consequently, they both got hammered at every ground they went to and disappeared pretty quickly. Remember carroll being knocked clean out by Shane Webcke's elbow in origin the next year too.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The new headline is Willie de-registered, Dobbo re-registered.

An absolute farce IMO
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Can you imagine the massive outcry if we'd try to pull a stunt like this? It's an absolute disgrace!!
People still hark on about us cheating the salary cap during the year that we avoided relegation. Yet, we did no such thing. We deferred players wages, with their consent, and got done for going against the "spirit" of the cap.
It's all a load of rubbish!!!!!!! AAAARRRGGGGHHH, Sorry, this sort of thing really annoys me.