Darren Lockyer To Retire

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Darren Lockyer To Retire

Post by josie andrews »

Darren Lockyer has today announced that the 2011 season will be his final year in the National Rugby League.

Lockyer, who turned 34 last week, said he was pleased and comfortable with his decision to retire after 17 seasons of top-grade football.

He will leave the game holding nearly every record of note.

Lockyer, who became a father last year, said today he felt the time was right to move on to the next chapter of his life.

“I am still enjoying playing and am really excited about the Broncos and rest of the 2011 year,” he said.

“Of course it will be hard to leave my teammates and the Broncos’ organisation at the end of the season, but I know the timing is right.

“I have had a wonderful career as a rugby league player, but I just feel it is time to move on to the next stage of my life.”

Lockyer said he had no concrete plans for future involvement in the game at this point in time.

“Of course I will observe the game and watch what is going on, but at this point I am going to take a complete break from the day-to-day grind of the NRL,” he said.

NRMA Insurance Broncos chief executive Paul White said today was a historic day for the club as the Broncos began the transition into life without Darren Lockyer.

“We appreciate the integrity that Darren has shown and the way he has decided to make this announcement now, which will allow our fans to celebrate his achievement for the rest of the season,” he said.

“I think it is fair to say that we will never have another player like Darren Lockyer.

“He has driven success here at the Broncos, has been a tremendous achiever at both club and representative level, and has been the epitome of professionalism for not only our club, but our game.

“Darren’s historical place in the very fabric of the game of rugby league is assured and he has deserved every accolade he has received.”

Darren Lockyer career stats:
Club
• DOB: 24/3/77
• Birthplace: Brisbane, Qld
• Junior Club: Roma Cities
• First Grade Debut: v Parramatta, 25/6/95 (Round 13) at Parramatta Stadium

Broncos Games (including NRL, WCC and Super League WCC)
• 347 matches (327 run-on, 20 interchange)
• Tries: 123
• Goals: 376
• Field goals: 17

NRL Games (1995-2011)
• 336 matches (316 run-on, 20 interchange)
• Tries: 119
• Goals: 341
• Field goals: 17

Representative
State of Origin (1998-2010)
• Matches: 33
• Tries: 9
• Goals: 22
• Field goals: 2
Tests (1998-2010)
• Matches 54
• Tries: 34 (record)
• Goals: 31
• Field goals: 2
Super League Tests
• Matches: 4
• Tries: 2
• Goals: 2
• Field Goals: 1

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.aspx? ... -to-retire
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Darren Lockyer To Retire

Post by josie andrews »

Fantastic player, good luck to him in his retirement :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan