Warrington 20-22 Catalan Dragons

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Whoooopee cracking result. :D
josie andrews

Wire v Les Cats

Post by josie andrews »

Catalan Dragons pulled off the shock of the season so far as they won at Super League leaders Warrington.

The rampant Wolves enjoyed a record-breaking 82-6 win against Harlequins in their last home game a fortnight ago.
But they were stunned by tries from Cyril Stacul, Frederic Vaccari, David Ferriol and Scott Dureau, who ended the afternoon carried off on a stretcher.

Joel Monaghan bagged another two tries to take his tally to seven, while Chris Riley and Richie Myler both crossed.
But Brett Hodgson landed only two kicks out of four with the boot.

After six wins on the spin, it was Warrington's first defeat since the season-opening reverse to Huddersfield at the Millennium Stadium on 13 February.

The Catalans also stunned Tony Smith's side 29-28 in Perpignan last July - but this was an even more unlikely victory.

All three of the Dragons' Super League wins this season have come away from home, but this was by far the biggest, lifting them to ninth in the table.

Dureau scored 10 of the Dragons' points, kicking three goals as well as coming up with the match-winning try 10 minutes from time.

The Aussie scrum-half pounced on a mistake by Myler to race clear 14 minutes from time before adding the crucial conversion.

But, within minutes, the Dragons scrum-half was carried off after being caught by a late tackle from Wolves forward Garreth Carvell, which caused a lengthy delay.

Warrington: Hodgson; J Monaghan, Bridge, Evans, Riley; Briers, Myler; Morley, M Monaghan, Carvell, Grix, Blythe, Clarke.
Replacements: Higham, Wood, Cooper, Solomona.

Catalan Dragons: Greenshields; Vaccari, Baile, Millard, Stacul; Farrar, Dureau; Ferriol, Henderson, Casty, Menzies, Raguin, Mounis.
Replacements: Simon, Martins, Baitieri, Pelissier.
Attendance: 10,056.
Referee: Phil Bentham (Warrington)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wire v Les Cats

Post by josie andrews »

They must have used all their energy in beating us last week.

Well done to Catalan :)

Hope you have used up all your energy this week :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
OJ

Re: Warrington 20-22 Catalan Dragons

Post by OJ »

I know it is sad but I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy at that result. Can't wait to go and see the guy in the plumber's merchants tomorrow who told me how sorry he felt for me last week being a Wigan fan. :D :D :D :D

What are the odds on Carvell getting away with flattening Scott Dureau? :conf:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Haha, that cant be right score. Is it not the wire that will remain unbeaten for rest of season, or so I was told last week by numerous wire fans lol, Warrington your just living in dream land, leave the trophies to the big boys with a history
Kiwiseddon

Tres bien!!!!!!!

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Nice one Catalan. Beaten Wire at their place!!!!
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Kiwiseddon

Re: Tres bien!!!!!!!

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Sorry. Just realised there's already a thread for this.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Kittwazzer

Re: Tres bien!!!!!!!

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kiwiseddon wrote:Sorry. Just realised there's already a thread for this.
Don't matter. Someone will merge em. More the merrier sez I! :lol:
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Big chance now for next week - a win will get back the loss to wire but Madge must do the homework right & get the team sorted for a huge game. Mustn't take Catalan lightly and get them up for 80 minutes.

Think they are at Hudds next week, so there could be a points swing to us with the right performance. If Pat fit, i would play Charnley, as think that would be a solid partnership.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

So pleased about this and it highlights the fact that things will take care of themselves if we concentrate on our own game. We're only going to play Warrington once more this season and whether we beat them or not if we perform to the best of our ability we WILL win the Grand Final and Warrington won't be there. Warrington have consistently been unable to win more than a few games in a row and I don't think this has changed and don't see how it possibly can. The balance of their side is all wrong and they rely a lot on older players and Aussies the type of players who can show their class when they get up for a certain game but they can't keep it up.

The older players can't because of fitness and the Aussies they've got can't because when they've won a couple of games fairly comfortably they see certain teams as below them and not worthy of effort. Didn't they thrash Huddersfield last season and then go on to lose a game they shouldn't have a few weeks later? I've no doubt they were good against Quins but given how much rub of the green they had against us and how poor we played they really weren't anything special. They will get more injuries and because they spend a fortune on a few players their strength in depth is nowhere near as good as ours. Can see them having a very similar season to last year.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."