Madge article

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Madge article

Post by cpwigan »

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1dqgr.html

Hard to decide whether to put it here or general.

Up to you Mods.
ancientnloyal

Re: Madge article

Post by ancientnloyal »

But you don't get too many opportunities to coach such a big club with so much history. Once the opportunity came up, I spoke to Russell [Crowe] and Shane [Richardson], and it was done. I wasn't sure how long I'd be over here. This probably came a little quicker than I originally thought. But these opportunities only come every now and then.''

Wigan is the biggest club in the world. :sly: You only get one chance with Wigan (unless you're Monie). Just hope his eye doesn't drift south this year.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Just a couple of things that worried me about this interview. Will he have his eye on the ball for the rest of our season considering the fact that he his obviously taking a keen interest on the recruitment front at Souths. Well aware that he needs to keep abreast of the set up at Souths because he is after all going to inherit the current squad.And the fact that he is keeping in touch with Russell Crow and Richardson. A little perturbed though that he is taking such a keen interest. We need him focused on all aspects Wigan.We are only a third into our season and do not need any distractions from afar. Though I think Michael has done wonders for this our illustrious club and appreciate it enormously. I would ask IL to keep a keen eye on any possible distractions from afar.Whilst I wish Michael all the best in the future.Souths are the future Wigan are now.We have a more illustrious club in Wigan than do Souths.Not a criticism just an observation worth thinking about should our results go(South)pardon the pun. I feel quite decietful for even thinking like this. :D
centralparkforever

Post by centralparkforever »

Would hope Paddy and Tommy are not encouraged to team up with Madge again next year.
OJ

Post by OJ »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Madge needs to be thankful to Wigan for giving him the opportunity to become a first grade coach and prove his ability and put himself in the shop window for the dream nrl job he so craved.

I'm sure he is but it would be good to hear it from the man himself otherwise he will come across as mercenary IMO
Didn't he say at the start of this year that his future lay with us etc so afraid I am not convinced he will give us his all this year no matter what he says
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I think his actions and reactions during the game today would be contrary to that notion :)

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

His response to each and every try plus the end result celebrations convinced me that he is focused on Wigan.My niggling doubts have been put to rest. :D
OJ

Post by OJ »

Fair enough we all have a different take on things somewhere along the line. I don't doubt for a minute that he will go through most things as per usual and will be passionate about the players winning on match days as that is all part of the normal psyche of anyone involved with sport who has a competitive nature. Hopefully he will be just as devoted when it comes to team building for next season and doesn't devote all his energies to who he is going to have playing for him in Oz
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote: I'm sure he is but it would be good to hear it from the man himself otherwise he will come across as mercenary IMO
Well when you read quotes from the linked article like this:

"I was spoken to quite some time ago, that there was an opportunity for the Souths job," he said. "At the time, there was all the speculation going on with Wayne Bennett, and it slowly unfolded. I had a number of conversations with people back there, about which direction they were headed, and it was a place I was really keen on."

I think Mercenary fits the bill pretty well. He can jump up and down all he likes at games like Saints but he has clearly been planning to move away from Wigan to the NRL at the first opportunity, not after his contract was up.

I had to make do with watching the Saints game in a pub down in South Wales as we were away on holiday and I think the locals thought I had had some sort of fit when Farrell went over but while away I was reading a little book of Wigan RL anecdotes which has a foreword by Rads. If you read his words you realise what Wigan RL means to him and has meant to many including overseas players. It clearly doesn't mean the same to Maguire and given the rapidity of him lining up an NRL job I doubt he actually realises what he actually has in the job he was given.

endoman

Post by endoman »

Bet he eventually wishes he had stopped for year 3, wish him all the luck etc. He'll not get another chance to coach the best club in the world.