No Goulding YET

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

No Goulding YET

Post by cpwigan »

On both teams the wingers had to come in, were exposed, tries scored out wide. Mmm, maybe it is just the way modern RL is :wink: I had a guy behind me telling his poor young son how bad Charnley was for going for the ball and not staying with his man. Which man I thought he had 2 :lol:
Dobby

Re: No Goulding YET

Post by Dobby »

Whether Charnley was at fault or not if Goulding had let 2 tries be scored on his outside like that then there would certainly have been a Goulding should be dropped thread on RLFans. Instead some of the posters who would have started such a thread have Charnley in their top 3 :lol:
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

According to peoples knowledge of how we are coached to defend how come Goulding was dropped at all if he was doing what has been asked of him? :sly:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

michael inch stoke wrote:According to peoples knowledge of how we are coached to defend how come Goulding was dropped at all if he was doing what has been asked of him? :sly:
He musn't have been doing it well enough or in attack too :wink: Seriously though every winger in Good Friday defended in a similar manner.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Karl Pryce scored again for Quins
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

ancientnloyal wrote:Karl Pryce scored again for Quins
He dis, but did you see how poorly he "defended".
He was running away from players he could have fallen on and squashed.
Give him his due though, at least this week his try actually took some scoring.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

He musn't have been doing it well enough or in attack too :wink: Seriously though every winger in Good Friday defended in a similar manner.[/quote]

Do you think they are coached to come in like that? Those second man plays are designed to bring the winger in by letting them think they can get a big hit, while isolated, on the man coming round the back. Most occasions the ball carrier has to catch and pass in a hurry which encourages the winger to come in. If the attackers skill is up to scratch they can make the winger look a little silly. Having said that, those plays have been around for so long that coaches must practice defence against it, so maybe they are coached to come in like that. I'm not sure which it is.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think it depends on how short you are in defence, how space the opp have on the outside and how many players they have overlapping. In such circumstances I believe the wingers are instructed what to do and in doing so use their judgement. The winger has actually become a very important decision maker in defence.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

On the thread about Joel i mentioned about the centre being the target for set plays trying to leave the winger with a difficult situation and i think most of them just fly in trying to come up with a miracle tackle when really they'd be best just to stay back a bit and bide time for the cover to come accross. If it's a good set play, the winger tends to get left on his own with a big space to cover and most of them panic a little bit but their timing has to be excellent. Goulding used to be very good at spotting the second man early as a centre but perhaps being left on his own on the wing has made it more difficult. I don't think they'll be coached to fly in but i don't know. I think mostly it's just the pressure of a good play that forces them to do it.
Bilko

Post by Bilko »

Dobby wrote:Whether Charnley was at fault or not if Goulding had let 2 tries be scored on his outside like that then there would certainly have been a Goulding should be dropped thread on RLFans. Instead some of the posters who would have started such a thread have Charnley in their top 3 :lol:
But there is vast chasm of difference between the two and that is experience. Goulding has played 94 games for Wigan, Charnley just 9. So if Goulding is poor in defence then he deserves to be criticised in my view. With Charnley you have to give him some leniency on his defence for the fact he is still learning!!!