Tony Rea anyone!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
OJ

Tony Rea anyone!

Post by OJ »

I realise rumours are rife about a coach for us but didn't see this one coming

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-union/u ... 1e20r.html

TONY REA may not be unemployed for long, with the unwanted Brumbies coach a leading contender to take over at glamour English rugby league outfit Wigan.

Rea was told his services wouldn't be required next year after the Brumbies slumped to their sixth loss in seven matches last weekend. However, Rea, who will be succeeded by World Cup-winning Springboks coach Jake White, remains highly regarded in league circles and is an outsider for the Penrith coaching job after Tim Sheens turned it down.

Wigan are on the lookout for a coach after Michael Maguire enacted a clause in his contract that allowed him to join South Sydney next season. Rea, a former North Sydney Bears hooker, made his name in the UK as a player, coach and then administrator at the London Broncos.

''He's a zero self-promoter but is one of the most adored coaches, commentators and thinkers in English rugby league,'' a source said.

''There's not a single club that wouldn't give their eye teeth to have him back. He has been discussed at [league] clubs here and abroad.

''[Warriors chairman] Ian Lenagan holds him in the highest regard.''

Rea has worked with the Brumbies for the past three years but was given the head coaching position after only Andy Friend was fired two games into the 2011 season.

Meanwhile, Meanwhile, giant French clubs Toulouse and Toulon are set to duel it out for the signature of Joe Rokocoko. The All Blacks winger comes off contract at the end of the World Cup and looks highly likely to be heading overseas later in the year, although the NZRU and the Blues are sure to want to fight to keep a player of his quality. Toulouse are in the market for a big-name winger to go alongside their other big overseas recruits for next season, Luke McAlister from the Blues and Luke Burgess from the Waratahs. Toulon are now expected to step up their interest in Rokocoko because former All Black Rudi Wulf is set to head back to New Zealand for family reasons

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

josie andrews

Re: Tony Rea anyone!

Post by josie andrews »

No thank you.

Shaun Wane or failing that Trent Robinson :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

josie andrews wrote:No thank you.

Shaun Wane or failing that Trent Robinson :)
I'll go with that too. :)
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

I hope not!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wouldn't mind that Rocokokoko though. Almost as good a name as Fui Fui Moi Moi Moi! :lol:
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

This would be a backwards step.He may well be highly thought of in some quarters but not in my house.Why would we even consider him?We have come on in leaps and bounds under MM&SW that IL would not want to see us lose the momentum.Trent Robinson would be worth a shot if he could be tempted away from the Cats.If not then leave it to Shaun Wayne. :D
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

Nothing against the bloke but don't think it would make much sense to have him Coach us. Wane for me.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
OJ

Post by OJ »

Kiwiseddon wrote:Nothing against the bloke but don't think it would make much sense to have him Coach us. Wane for me.
Totally agree with you, the only worry I have is that a coaches job in rugby league can be such a poisoned challice and the last thing in the world I want is for Shaun Wane to end up being a victim in all this.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

OJ wrote:
Kiwiseddon wrote:Nothing against the bloke but don't think it would make much sense to have him Coach us. Wane for me.
Totally agree with you, the only worry I have is that a coaches job in rugby league can be such a poisoned challice and the last thing in the world I want is for Shaun Wane to end up being a victim in all this.
True. I think we should have faith though. He's proved himself at a Junior level and on those two occasions when MM was back in Oz. I think he's too good to be a victim, but I know what you mean.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
Susi

Post by Susi »

I think Wane should be given his chance, he will need strong assistant. I hope he will be with us a long time hes pure wigan