Help Needed!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
bblackcat09

Help Needed!

Post by bblackcat09 »

Wondered if anyone can help? My son is 14 and just getting interested in rugby. He has started taking an interest on the TV and said he wants to start playing. I am a single Mum and know nothing about rugby at all but am keep to support him.

I've looked at a couple of local clubs and we're hoping to go down there soon. What do I need to get for him? I am worried about him getting hurt!!!! Anything you can think of I can get him to stop potential injuries??

Thanks in advance.
cpwigan

Re: Help Needed!

Post by cpwigan »

Does he attend a Wigan school?

You can buy him a scrum cap to protect his head but personally I would wait until he has spent some time training with his school and/or amateur club.
bblackcat09

Post by bblackcat09 »

He does attend a local school, but he was not chosen for the rugby team as he has only just started showing an interest so I wanted to get him involved elsewhere.

Not thought about head wear. Why hold off??
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Like all boys he may lose interest (I hope not but we have all been there etc) but even if he does not somebody at an amateur club that he joins may be able to supply such equipment or purchase them more cheaply.

Personally, I believe safety gear can give youngsters a false sense of safety, even recklessness whereas a young boy coached correctly and following those techniques should IMO not need safety equipment like head gear. Often parents buy their children safety equipment for their own state of mind but each to their own.
bblackcat09

Post by bblackcat09 »

Yeah, I see what you mean, no need to waste money if he looses interest. What about his teeth, I would imagine a gum shield is essential?
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think the first couple of times he will need only his boots. If he has never played before he will not be thrown straght into a game, he may need quite a bit of 1 to 1 coaching. Plus the last thing you want is for him to turn up like an american footballer, take him down let him train a few times and see what he thinks of it, have a chat with the coach ask him about the game yourself, kids rugby is hard but you dont tend to get the same kind of injuries as the super league guys! If he and you are happy then go and watch the teams games at the weekend that way he can see what the standard of play is and you can see how rough or how good it is.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

When he starts to play a gum shield is a useful and wise investment. Training wise he should not need one.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bblackcat09 wrote:Wondered if anyone can help? My son is 14 and just getting interested in rugby. He has started taking an interest on the TV and said he wants to start playing. I am a single Mum and know nothing about rugby at all but am keep to support him.

I've looked at a couple of local clubs and we're hoping to go down there soon. What do I need to get for him? I am worried about him getting hurt!!!! Anything you can think of I can get him to stop potential injuries??

Thanks in advance.
You don't say where you live but I would suggest he would be made to feel welcome at any local club if he is keen to give it a go. And so would you, as you would get to know the other parents there. They tend to be a sociable bunch!

Forget buying anything in the first instance, just take him along in old clothes that you don't mind getting dirty. Kids don't train in kit! If he does keep it up, the club will supply him with shirt, shorts and socks.
And don't worry about him getting hurt. Bumps and bruises apart, I have only known one bad injury in 8 years following a junior team and it was a totally freak accident. All the rest of the players who turned up with broken arms/legs picked up their injuries at school or on holiday!

You can find contact details of local clubs on http://www.nwc13-15arl.co.uk/links.php

Enjoy it!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

What a sensible young man opting for the beautiful game. Any coach worth is salt would evaluate any child via practice etc before even considering him for full on contact.As previously stated by cpw a gum shield would be worth the investment.No need for head gear just yet as I have stated he would probably not get onto the pitch unless he shows aptitude for the game. Contrary to the opinion of those not in the know or the game.Rugby whilst being a tough game is not generally a violent game just tough and honest.Players do not intentionally go out to hurt each other.Though accidents do occur from time to time.As kittwazzer quite rightly say's most mums and dads are quite sociable people and would be only to willing to give you good information and help.Many of us have tried in vain to achieve the ultimate and play for our home town club.So just tell him to enjoy the game for what it is.Bloody beautiful! :D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Word of mouth at your sons school should let him/you know which amateur clubs are in your area and the ones maybe best suited to his interest. Travel time, facilities etc.
Close friends playing in the same team is a good suggestion, keeping his interest going beyond training and matches.
As already suggested, no need to buy fancy head protection or fancy equipment at this stage, as good coaching keeps that right and having knocks learns you to do it right, even if it is painful.
You also need to find if he wants to keep it up which can be very expensive for fancy boots etc for two weeks then he decides its not for him.
Rugby League is a tough full contact game at most ages, so expect some tears, cuts and bruises along the way, but a big positive is that it toughens a young kid up, learning him to cope better with physical and mental knocks.
Some of my best friends were formed through playing Rugby League from a young age, friends I could rely on 100% through thick and thin.
Rugby League is a fantastic sport to participate in and watch and I hope all goes well in your search for a good club for you and your son.