Enforcers past and present

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
yoda warrior

Re: Enforcers past and present

Post by yoda warrior »

Paul Gallen's the best of the current bunch.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bill.inger wrote:For me it has to be the player Wigan had, then gave away. Kurt Sorensen to Widnes when he was only seventeen.
Butter left Wigan for Oz and played for Cronulla and Eastern Suburbs, we didn't give him away. Admittedly I was surprised when he joined Widnes on his return. I assume we had our full quota by then!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

cpwigan wrote:Current, hard to be one in this day and age IMO but Morley is a long standing one. Graham has the capability. Coley IMO showed up well v St George and I cannot remember anybody taking him on etc but he doesn't go looking for it either. Bailey of Leeds likes to think he is. Cashmere/Salford? Some of the French lads?

Hock is a natural agressor, no backward step player. He probably fits the role for Wigan.
Physically, Graham may have the capability, but he has the spine of a jellyfish.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think Graham is tougher than people give him credit for. He reminds of Les Boyd/Steve Roach the way he mixes tough stuff with lots of verbal outrage.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Inga the Winger was big enough to be an enforcer if he hadn't had such a propensity for forgiveness! :lol:
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Brian Mcdermott was nails. ex army pro boxer. remember him knocking two leeds players out with one left and right hook when he stood up from the PTB.

Anthony Mundine - only small but nobody messed with him in the NRL coz of his boxing capabilities (later went on to be a world champ). sorry just realised you said super league enforcers! doh!but whilst i'm on the NRL then you have to mention Gordon Talis, proper tough bloke. remember the scrap with tez? to be fair tez came back with a few at the end and not many di that when hit half a dozen times by GT
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

IMO current toughest in SL and you cant look beyond Luke O'Donnell, even to the point where Morley was very quiet in the Giants game against Wire. O'Donnell had Solomona like a teddy bear when they clashed in that game.
An enforcer is only effective if his opposition allow him him to be. O'Donnell done very little against us, we played honest and tough and it suffocated him out of the game.
We also have very tough players in our team that go about their game generally without having to shove it in opposition players faces. Andy Coley, Michael McIllorum, Ryan Hoffman and Sean O'Loughlin come to mind.
All time British enforcer has to be Jim Mills by a long stretch.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Have to disagree PM, real enforcers often do not need to enforce as there presence ensures compliance. Brian McTigue was one of the very best enforcers period IMO and yet his disciplinary record was superb.

In the modern era Les Davidson had that silent assassin persona although he would go at it more openly. Kel impressed me far more when he 'killed' opponents without it being obvious bar the end result.
jobo

Post by jobo »

bill.inger wrote:For me it has to be the player Wigan had, then gave away. Kurt Sorensen to Widnes when he was only seventeen.
Agreed here. He was the ultimate enforcer, not overly dirty just rock hard.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

jobo wrote:
Agreed here. He was the ultimate enforcer, not overly dirty just rock hard.
But we never 'gave him away'!