Big salary cap will keep stars in the NRL under a new television rights deal for the 2013 season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Big salary cap will keep stars in the NRL under a new television rights deal for the 2013 season

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Will the new salary cap in Australia result in fewer players signing for Super League clubs?

Is this good or bad?

Will the Aussies look to recruit the best from SL? If so, what does the future hold for our game?

Are the Siants ahead of the game with their recent signings?

Maybe these are some questions that could be put to IL at the Fans Forum.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Re: Big salary cap will keep stars in the NRL under a...

Post by cpwigan »

It is good news for the NRL and surely forces SL to look at the SC again which IMO means reducing the size of SL not expanding it. Otherwise some of the very best will go to the NRL and the very best already there will not be drawn to SL too. In the short term/long term the NRL wages for top players will increase, less marquee player loss, even attract players from Union. We will still get names to SL unless the NRL expands but we will find it harder to sign the very best in their prime.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mr Lenegan votes to keep the cap as it as & promotes ways to make it work better. For example, players who have been at the same club for ten years do not count on the salary cap
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

All good Josie but until the RFL/Britain faces facts and realises we cannot have 14 clubs / 16 clubs operating at even an inflation linked SC we are not going to make progress. Whatsmore, the TV deal if it improves will be diluted by being shared out too much.

I think you will see more young British RL players going to the NRL now.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Hope not & I agree with being 12 or even 13 teams in SL, so one team can have a 'bye' week like in the NRL.

I also think the the Exiles game should be played on a non SL weekend. We have a game within 2 days of it I think?

Mr Lenegan thinks the Exiles game is a great idea. More competitive.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cpwigan wrote:All good Josie but until the RFL/Britain faces facts and realises we cannot have 14 clubs / 16 clubs operating at even an inflation linked SC we are not going to make progress. Whatsmore, the TV deal if it improves will be diluted by being shared out too much.

I think you will see more young British RL players going to the NRL now.
The salary cap needs to benefit clubs that nurture talent. Clubs need to know that if they spend time and money in developing young players then they will see a long-term benefit, whilst those clubs who invest little or nothing in junior development will be penalised.

I have regularly corresponded with the RFL about this point, alas to no avail. For example, clubs should have fist pick of their under 16s team and each of the players signed should be given a standard contract (a decent wage/salary with incremental progression based upon development and acheivement)and educational support. Any player not signed by, say, 1st September becomes a free agent. Any of the players that then make the fisrt team squad (top 25)should only have half their salary charged to the salary cap.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards