Degale vs Groves place ya bets!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Degale vs Groves place ya bets!

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dont know i think miadana while not being the greatest boxer on earth can trouble anyone on his day with his power. i think khan showed a lot of steel. Roach has improved him as a fighter, ive met him at a charity do and he is a real gent really nice guy. I agree with you though the elite of the divison would kill him, mayweather, pacman, maquez would easily overcome him. I reckon he'll go after Moralez after the show el terriblo put on against miadana, makes sense for khan possibly big money little risk
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
StarAndy

Post by StarAndy »

Intresting debate this...... do any of you box ?????

Wes

Post by Wes »

Yes but Khan doesnt take risk's. They calculate what is best for him and their purse, Maidana although a good fighter is an average Joe to the yanks hes just a powerful kid. Khan has improved no doubt but he dodges possible opponents for 2 tings money and to win, his last fight they had a lot of options there was Bradley, Ortiz, Prescot re-match, even Junior Witter threw his hat in the ring, they had no reason to choose McCloskey it was a sham and a joke.

Thing is now is Khan cant hide forever he is running out of opponents before the yanks get bored, Hatton wasn't good enough for the elites but the yanks loved him because whenever a name was mentioned he went yes allright then lets get it on.

Khan needs to change his approach fast or get spit to the wayside, his last fight was "for the fans" yet when his undercard crumbled and sky wanted to show it on sky sports 3 this was a perfect opportunity to let a hell of a lot of his fans see him fight for free, what did he do open it up to the highest bidder which was prime time £$£$£$£$£$£.

Khan should look at somebody like Ortiz or Bradley and if he wins step up to Marquez, he is a talented bloke who could be great/elite but I have no respect for him YET because of the above.

Whats also interesting is what will happen when the Pacman retires Roach will look for a new fighter it will be interesting to see who he chooses to put in his stable along side Khan.
Wigan_forever1985

@StarAndy - no i have done some boxing work but never actually been in the ring for real.

Dont forget Ortiz was supposed to be the next upcoming thing in America and Miadana smashed him and its the opinion of many that Ortiz never really recovered from that fight.

I agree khan needs an elite fighter or at least a potential elite next, my fear is that he will pick someone like mosley or cotto, both custom made for khans bombing run in throw a lot and run out tactics.

Trouble is with boxing is you can quite easily avoid the top fighters!, ive said before this happens in no other sport, Wigan couldnt avoid st helens, man u couldnt avoid chelsea.

Cleverly i feel is one of our best talents but he seems to have alligned himself to Warren and i can see him stay there forever which is a shame really because i would like to see how good some of warrens fighters could have been had they truely tested themselves. Thats why i respect the likes of froch who has never shyed away from a fight, yet he gets no exposure because he fell out with Warren, maybe now barry hearne has him things may differ.

it will be a really interesting fight i feel between groves and degale, i can see the argument for both taking the spoils.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Post by Wes »

Ortiz didnt get smashed but he did lose however I think he has dusted himself down now and would have had more to offer than McCloskey, he would still be ideal for Khans next fight as going in agaisnt an elite from McCloskey would do him no favours, he should come out with a 2-3 fight plan, i.e Ortiz Bradley Marquez but who knows.

Ortiz in my opinion is a lot fitter than Maidana and can take a lot of traffic and still have the hand speed and guts to return some traffic, I also think he would win that rematch and perhaps needs it to move on.

But going back to the thread title we are in for a rare treat on Saturday night and I wish both fighters well!
Wigan_forever1985

the ortiz vs Miadana fight could actually share synonyms with the degale groves fight. Ortiz i agree with you would win the re-match i think if there were one, i think ortiz had believed his own hype and assumed his slick skills would be enough to blow miadana out and when he didnt he didnt have a plan b. he's a more rounded fighter now but he has lost a bit of his self belief i think.

do you think either of these are ready for froch? as thats been touted as a potential fight down the line
Wes

Post by Wes »

Ooooooooowwwww thats a hard call, hmmmmmmmmm no frock is an older wiser dog 18 month if they are still on the upward curve yes, 12 months maybe but not just yet but i think both promoters would be wise to that also. I think in 2 years both could potentially challenge anyone.

If I could give both a positive and a negative it would be:-

Groves

Never stops, always believes.

Not progressed, treading water in development IMO (this will change when Haye retires and he becomes prized posession.)

DeGale

Has the natural adaptability factor!

Frank Warren (That said, Warren didnt want this fight DeGale forced his hand)
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

No idea, never really seen De Gale fight anyone as good as Groves. DeGale gets away with using his elbow far too much and leaves himself open but that's maybe because he's been able to afford to. Last fight was stopped a little prematurely but there was only ever one winner but DeGale took way too many headshots for my liking.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Wes

Post by Wes »

Did you guys see the press conference they have now placed a bet with each other, winner takes all! Not sure if this is allowed legally but its shaping up to be 1 hell of a fight!

Still think this could be the next big trilogy!

GPartin did you see Groves last fight with Anderson, he was being hit at will and frankly if he didnt get the stoppage with his late rally would have lost.

Both are partial to being hit but thats the business they are in, IMO Smith was a far better opponent than Anderson but come what may saturday is going to be a good night!
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Hahaha

Good close fight, I had Groves by 1 round but a draw would have been fair. De Gale left it too late to start putting the combinations together but it took him way too long to adjust.

De Gale should have had a point deducted for use of the elbow (once again) so he can't complain.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."