Should the Challenge Cup be seeded?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Should the Challenge Cup be seeded?

Post by cpwigan »

Warrington 112 - 0 Swinton

ancientnloyal

Re: Should the Challenge Cup be seeded?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Pointless game isn't it.

It should be seeded based on league position. The Champions League to some extent is seeded, most sports are. I'd like to see the team from a lower division (if playing a SL club) to be seeded at home instead of away. Swinton didn't have any chance tonight.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Scores like that don't do our game any favours!
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

To be honest home and away makes little difference, for example Wigan usually play better away from home so any advantage the lower league club got from being at home is negated.

I think the first new rule that should be introduced in the Challenge Cup is that only European/Federation trained players are allowed to play in it.

It might make little difference to these huge scorelines because the problem is the massive gap in money and training between Super League and Championship but at least with a European only rule then the winners would have done something for European Rugby League.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

What possible good can come from a score that would have done little for the moral of the Swinton players.Of course it is not the fault of the wire team as only last week we grumbled that the route should have been more emphatic against the quins.The fault lies firm and square at the door of the rfl for allowing the minnows to be fed to the dogs.I am all for seeding if it helps the cause of our game.Superb rugby should quite rightly be applauded but I'm not going to applaud any team for humiliating another because they are superior in every department. :(
OJ

Post by OJ »

I can't disagree with any of you and yet these non-super league clubs don't seem to see it that way and seem to enjoy the experience though God knows why and fair play to Warrington and listening to folk round here this morning you would think they were a team of world beaters - they are all getting their tickets for the final and thinking about where to stay etc and much as their team gets on my wick they have developed this ruthless habit which is a good thing to do and the sort of thing I feel Shaun Wane will bring to the club if/when he is in charge.

Quote from Sporting Life about last nights 'game'

Swinton coach Steve McCormack:

"I am disappointed with the scoreline but we will not be judged by this game.

"Warrington were absolutely fantastic and tore us apart from the start. We never had the ball.

"They were disciplined and it was a massive lesson for us but we could not have worked any harder.

"If Warrington continue to play like that it will take a good side to stop them but this will make us not break us that's for sure."

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

This argument could have been made up until Wigan lost to Salford on 11th February 1996

This is about the "glamour" of the cup and the chance (no matter how small) for an upset. To remove that is the end of any "fairytale" and as such finishes the cup end of. Might as well just make it an all SL cup competition
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

I think some kind of change is needed, maybe seeding or bringing the super league clubs in a round later so only the best of the lower league clubs are left, not sure. There's been very few victories by lower league clubs in last few years, hardly any close games either.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

You have answered my point raised then. Remove all the amateurs/Conference/National League sides and simply make the Challenge Cup an all Super League competition as they couldn't beat any of them any way :wink:
http://www.skysports.com/rugbyleague/ma ... 17,00.html
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!