GB Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrsLam

GB Match

Post by MrsLam »

Only the end of the first half but so far so good, which I'm surprised about because I really didn't see us winning this match.

Still need to improve on our kicking, so far it's been completely cr*p, straight down the throat or just unimaginative.

Anyway can't be doing with negativity. First try was a good group effort and perfect timing in the pass from Newton to send Gleeson over. Then the second coming from our very own Mr Carney! Absolutely brilliant running and a well deserved try. He completely out did the Aussie defence, we've missed him this year.

Another player that's stuck out has been Reardon, he's took a few good balls under pressure and kept his calm at all times.

Think in the second half we need to go in a lot harder than we have been doing, I've only noticed Faz and Long going in hard and both times its worked. Long forcing the knock on and Faz just stopping the player dead because he wasnt expecting it.

Not sure whats going on in Blacks mind, but has he heard of offside and flops? Theres a lot of that going on and its slowing down the game.

Hope the lads do even better in the second half, please prove my pre match thoughts wrong
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
MrsLam

Re: GB Match

Post by MrsLam »

I'll be honest, am too pi**ed to remember that second half but I know it wasn't good. Just come up before the try was given, never mind lads. Still got another chance.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

So proud of them all i think we just got tired and aussie held it out but well done!! It must of been a good match coz my mum watched it and started shoutin for a free kick!! lol :blush:
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
MrsBrown21

Post by MrsBrown21 »

MrsLam posted:
Only the end of the first half but so far so good, which I'm surprised about because I really didn't see us winning this match.

Still need to improve on our kicking, so far it's been completely cr*p, straight down the throat or just unimaginative.

Anyway can't be doing with negativity. First try was a good group effort and perfect timing in the pass from Newton to send Gleeson over. Then the second coming from our very own Mr Carney! Absolutely brilliant running and a well deserved try. He completely out did the Aussie defence, we've missed him this year.

Another player that's stuck out has been Reardon, he's took a few good balls under pressure and kept his calm at all times.

Think in the second half we need to go in a lot harder than we have been doing, I've only noticed Faz and Long going in hard and both times its worked. Long forcing the knock on and Faz just stopping the player dead because he wasnt expecting it.

Not sure whats going on in Blacks mind, but has he heard of offside and flops? Theres a lot of that going on and its slowing down the game.

Hope the lads do even better in the second half, please prove my pre match thoughts wrong
Well done GB!! Does any1 know what happened to brian Carney?
.¸.·´;ßê†h lµv§ ²¹Kêvïñ ßröwñ²¹.¸.·´;
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

It was tragic, well kinda. No one played too atrociously though, not even Longy! and Brian Carney's try was magnificent, although it doesn't look like the magical hip twiddling he's had done has worked too well.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Just got back, so haven't watched the video yet, but so close yet again! we just can't seem to finish them off! Morley for me was outstanding, along with all the pack. The defence was superb (except for Sculthorpe)...couldn't really blame anyone for the Mason try, the guy's unstoppable from so close to the line. Our winger (Walker?) got caught out of position for their last one, pity Rads wasn't there, Wellens did ok but was slow getting across for that one. Any news on Brian, he looked to be limping before he went off?
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

A pretty disappointing game in my opinion, I hope there weren't many prospective new fans there for which this game decided whether they watch league again.

I stand by my opinion of Black that I had when he reffed the WIDNES -v- Wigan SL game at THE HALTON STADIUM. He doesn't like to stop play for infrigements but he likes to wait for the defensive line to be on the 30m line before the 20m restart. There were a couple of occassions where I'm sure he couldn't see the play-the-ball because of Aussie players being right in from of him.

As for Reardon playing well, are you sure you meant Reardon? I thought he looked very out of position (as a fullback on the wing). For a fullback he didn't seem too keen on catching the ball, he liked to watch it bounce first, which let the Aussies march upto our line and we found it very difficult to get out of our own 10, especially when offsides don't exist!

I wasn't impressed with Senior either tonight, there was that dodgy kick straight the Minichello (I think) when we should have had a try. He wasn't so bad going forward but to me he seemed to go inside instead of using his winger. On the bomb he was no use, he tried to shield the catcher from too far away, he'd have been better using his height and going for the catch.

I was quite impressed with Farrell, he played well, with passion. Sean Long wasn't bad but he couldn't kick for toffee, his first two attempts hit the approaching Aussies. Morley was disappointing, didn't seem up for it. Wellens wasn't so bad, but there was only one fullback in the world that would have stood a chance of stopping Mason's try and that's Radlinski.

Both tries were good bits of work, for those moments you would have had no idea Carney had had a bad season and Gleeson had been banned they looked very astute and strong.

We have to deal with the negative I'm afraid MrsLam, we need to change the Britsh mentality of finding positives from a loss. The Aussies won't accept anything less than the best, which is why they usually win. Faz pointed this out last season when they won the three tests and I think he's bang on.

The one thing I can't understand about GB is why fans don't seem as bothered about going. A fortnight ago 67,000 people filled out Old Trafford, which was mainly just Leeds and Bradford fans. When you think about the amount of fans from other clubs that would have gone if their team had reached the GF it's suprising that so few go to International games. The atmosphere there tonight wasn't very good, I think it's got something to do with fans not knowing what to sing too, all clubs have their chants but GB don't really.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
Just got back, so haven't watched the video yet, but so close yet again! we just can't seem to finish them off! Morley for me was outstanding, along with all the pack. The defence was superb (except for Sculthorpe)...
Why didn't you think Sculthorpes defence wasn't good? I thought he was there just behind Farrell at putting in the tackles. He seemed to slip a few times, but so did a few of them, must have been the pitch and their studs.

I can only remember Morley having one decent spell really just when McGuire came on. He made a few fantastic tackles on the trot which for me was the only time the crowd got going. He made a few decent forward runs but nothing that really stood out in my opinion.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

All 3 of their tries came from his missed tackles. Usually his attack makes up for his suspect defence, but it didn't tonight.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Paul Sculthorpe never goes low in a tackle, he gets bounced/handed off way to easy even in super league.