goulding should get a chance at center before joel

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
deancartwright1990

goulding should get a chance at center before joel

Post by deancartwright1990 »

joel is filling center well but times where the ball should go or winger sucked in and passed to the winger but with joel its just drive it up and try and knock them over ... doing agood job and i no we have a lot of second rowers but givce goulding a chance think he should start v hull kr and given a few games to crack into first team and not play one and have the wigan faithful on his back like what happens with players i e brett finch
ancientnloyal

Re: goulding should get a chance at center before joel

Post by ancientnloyal »

I actually found it hard to read that without punctuation. :D

I think Goulding does well at centre, he does a job. But I think the more Joel plays he'd be better suited to passing out to Goulding/Charnley. I like his angled runs and the inevitable inside or flick pass. Isn't 100% great at the minute, nor is it 50% but it's good to see a strong runner on the angle for the wing to run inside or step outside again. I don't think Goulding has that power.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:I actually found it hard to read that without punctuation. :D
Me too! :). And I still can't work out this bit “and not play one and have the wigan faithful on his back like what happens with players i e brett finch”! :)
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think cherry.pie is bang on the money here, Goulding is an excellent utility player to have in the ranks but IMO hes not a first choice centre, not fast enough not strong enough but he does have a knack of finding the line.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Joel is not a centre for me. He seems to lack some of the body awareness or type that can translate into the skills required for a centre. Look at him trying to stoop to pick up balls from the ground for example, he is very ungainly.

I can't see him ever really getting close to a great centre. Think about the skills of that scouser Jamie Lyon. Those are what make a great centre, not second row bash.

I think you've got an easier job converting an outside back to a full on centre rather than a second row - but even that doesn't always work - look at how Pat struggled in his first year.

I'd give Goulding a run at centre, he has more potential IMO. But i guess we have millions of second rowers and we need to find something to do with them.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Joel has a tendency to run at opposing players rather than space between defenders. In the second row he would take the tackle and try to pull/bump out and go again. Such a tactic is not suited to centre. He needS to be looking to get on the outside and use his handling ability.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

cpwigan wrote:Joel has a tendency to run at opposing players rather than space between defenders. In the second row he would take the tackle and try to pull/bump out and go again. Such a tactic is not suited to centre. He needS to be looking to get on the outside and use his handling ability.
Agree with that CP. Rather than draw his opponents inside and make room for Josh he tends to run at them and try too bulldoze through them or go alone on the outside leaving no room for Charnley. Very reluctant to pass outside at times , and he thinks he has more pace than he has .(if that makes sense). Stll a class player when his head is in the right place .
2002 and EW is hooked
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

sorry bout no punctuation haha thats one thing ive defo forgot from school... i was meaning with carmont on the field aswell and have these as our centers... think fans will say they prefare joel without giving goulding a few games look at the stick brett finch took
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I think they both do a 'Job' at centre but would like to see us strengthen for 2011/2012 season in that area for definite, with (I know it is a long shot) Ryan Atkins from Wire, I personally think he is awesome in every aspect and young(ish) and English.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Potentially but its a dream Joel should be moulding himself on Gene Miles. Joel carrys the ball like Gene did and has a similar frame.