Stuart Fielden

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
platt-warrior

Stuart Fielden

Post by platt-warrior »

Whats the latest on Stuart? a lot of posters believe he will
be back for the Wire match.I'm not so sure.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Stuart Fielden

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Hello to all the Warriors faithful! I have been visiting the site and inparticular the forum for a good few years now and read all the posts on a regular basis. I have finally plucked up the courage to register and will be leaving my humble opinion on a few topics no doubt in the future!

I think we have missed Fielden immensely this year in the front row mainly because of his work rate, organisation and presence (no offence to the other front rowers and particularly Mossop who I think has been immense in general). When Fielden returns, which is soon I hope, I believe him along with Hock (who I think deserves a second chance for what it is worth) will give us a huge lift and a dynamism in the forwards that will have other SL Packs worried to put it nicely! At the moment the biggest threat to our crown is clearly Wire and I think they are not as concerned about our threat as they should be at this current time,but, bring back Fielden and Hock and we are a totally different prospect!

Anyway hope I have not offended anyone with this first post like I said it is my humble opinion and obviously not as clued up as 'most' of you ooops!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Good, first post mate.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:Hello to all the Warriors faithful! I have been visiting the site and inparticular the forum for a good few years now and read all the posts on a regular basis. I have finally plucked up the courage to register and will be leaving my humble opinion on a few topics no doubt in the future!

I think we have missed Fielden immensely this year in the front row mainly because of his work rate, organisation and presence (no offence to the other front rowers and particularly Mossop who I think has been immense in general). When Fielden returns, which is soon I hope, I believe him along with Hock (who I think deserves a second chance for what it is worth) will give us a huge lift and a dynamism in the forwards that will have other SL Packs worried to put it nicely! At the moment the biggest threat to our crown is clearly Wire and I think they are not as concerned about our threat as they should be at this current time,but, bring back Fielden and Hock and we are a totally different prospect!

Anyway hope I have not offended anyone with this first post like I said it is my humble opinion and obviously not as clued up as 'most' of you ooops!
Welcome to the site :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

Inspired by TrueBlue I thought I'd add my newby 2penneth on this post too, so be gentle eh??

I completely agree that having a fully fit and functioning Fielden in our pack would be great. The lads playing in the pack at the moment are doing a great job generally, I have thought that we have looked a little lightweight in some of our closer games and the ones we have lost. But I do have some questions about Fielden generally.

When our pack has been fronted up by players like Morley, Carvell, Keith Mason who are big and agressive our pack are missing people who will come in and refuse to be bullied or even act as an "enforcer" when our play makers start getting hit late or smacked around (ie Westwood on Tompkins vs Wire) and put us back on the front foot. We dont really have anyone in our pack who will go toe to toe with this type of opposition, and to be honest Im not sure Fielden will provide this either although he was missing from the games I've mentioned. He's a good runner of the ball and brings experience and size to the pack but as a "hardman" he doesnt really cut it for me.

Hock on the other hand may well be the solution to this problem, he's never minded getting stuck in and getting into the opposition pack. He also looks like he's bulked up so may well be more of a front rower now than before. The question here for me is whether his time out of the game (and a couple of years of growing up) will stop him going too far and giving daft penalties and getting sin binned in an attepmt to assert himself.

Either way, Im not critising him, Fielden or the guys who have one a great job whele these 2 have been out. We are joint top of the league with a game in hand after all, I just see this as one of the ways we can add a different element to our game with one eye on the business end of the season. Our pack being on top will make sure we make yards on every carry, give our backs more opportunity to do points damage and more confidence be creative if they know they are more protected from oppostion late hits and punches.
BriH

Post by BriH »

The sooner Stuart is back the better.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

I spoke to Stu before the Bratford game on Sun, he said he will be back in July, didn't say what part of July though

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

the winky one

Post by the winky one »

PS Welcome to the site True Blue hope you like it.I'm pretty new myself but it's great to have a good old natter and try to gee each other up...Enjoy :D
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

And welcome Leigh pie eater as well, two new recruits eh?
FAB! :D
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

What we have missed is Stu's defensive qualities ,i rate him as one of the best defensive props in the game . Maybe not as strong runnig the ball a few years ago but still good enough with ball in hand