Charnley should get a chance at centre.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jobo

Charnley should get a chance at centre.

Post by jobo »

I know there's a thread about Goulding playing centre, personally, I agree that he should be in there before Joel but what about Josh Charnley????

Imo Josh is perhaps not exactly wasted as a winger but is one of the best young centres I've seen playing, certainly in the last 7 years or so. Could be wrong here but starting his professional career as a winger is retrograde and he should have been a shoo in as soon as Gleeson left.

What does tha reckon???
platt-warrior

Re: Charnley should get a chance at centre.

Post by platt-warrior »

I'm sorry but both Charnley and Goulding are not good enough
IMO. When you compare these two with Carmont or Gleeson i'm afraid there is such a gulf in class.I think we should look elseware.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

cherry.pie wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:I'm sorry but both Charnley and Goulding are not good enough
IMO. When you compare these two with Carmont or Gleeson i'm afraid there is such a gulf in class.I think we should look elseware.
Steady on! Carmont and Gleeson didn't just suddenly appear as top quality centres. They weren't at the top of their game from an early age. Carmont only started playing first grade at the age of 24 and Goulding still hasn't reached that age and it's another 5 years before Charnley turns 24.
Just because they aren't good enough now doesn't mean they can't become very good centres.
I cannot wait,Goulding has been playing off and on for 3 seasons and has not progressed to become an established
1st team player.
The jury is still out on Charnley but is not Wigan class IMO.
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

cant compare these ytoung players to international players just yet i agree goulding aint that much cop,, end of the day hes a current international winger and does hos work no doubt he always puts his hand up to take the ball but never thinbk hes gonna make a break .. other hand charnley is 20 played bout 16 games at super league level maybe a few more to wrote him off now is rediculous
deancartwright1990

Post by deancartwright1990 »

chances gotta say he is a natural winger but think he could make the transition from wing to center pretty easy just his pasisng for me but i rekon he could
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

I know I'm new, but why is anyone writing off either of these lads?

As has already been stated, Goulding is an international winger who has excelled in the scoring charts proportionately to the games he has played and the teams he has played for while out on loan. He more than holds his own with his workrate, commitment to the team and lets not forget he was part of the team that won the Grand final so can't be that much of a millstone around the club's neck.

As for Charnley, he's 19, just broken through and is doing an outstanding job in a high performing team and is scoring tries with amazing regularity. Ive no doubt that at some point he will also get his chance at international level too.

So the question is, what are the detractors expecting of these 2 lads?

To answer the post subject. For me it's too early to say whether Charnley is a good prospect at centre. I've not seen him at lower levels and although he's doing everything expected and more on the wing, playing at centre is a different proposition. He has good hands and is quick but as for the vision and physical differences that playing at centre needs, Im sure he could do a job but would he be the best option? I dont know.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

[I know I'm new, but why is anyone writing off either of these lads?

As has already been stated, Goulding is an international winger who has excelled in the scoring charts proportionately to the games he has played and the teams he has played for while out on loan. He more than holds his own with his workrate, commitment to the team and lets not forget he was part of the team that won the Grand final so can't be that much of a millstone around the club's neck.

As for Charnley, he's 19, just broken through and is doing an outstanding job in a high performing team and is scoring tries with amazing regularity. Ive no doubt that at some point he will also get his chance at international level too.

So the question is, what are the detractors expecting of these 2 lads?

To answer the post subject. For me it's too early to say whether Charnley is a good prospect at centre. I've not seen him at lower levels and although he's doing everything expected and more on the wing, playing at centre is a different proposition. He has good hands and is quick but as for the vision and physical differences that playing at centre needs, Im sure he could do a job but would he be the best option? I dont know.

][/quote]

Fantastic post, but I still feel with the loss of Gleeson and Carmont, one established centre for 2011/2012 is a must!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think we have to be very careful in writing young backs off far too soon. Outside backs IMO is the most complex defensive task in the game today. However, Goulding has shone at Salford and here, Charnley was awesome for Hull KR, always looked class in our Academy. We (fans) need to be a little more patient with such players. Lest we forget Carmont was written off by Newcastle before he came here.
jobo

Post by jobo »

platt-warrior wrote:
cherry.pie wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:I'm sorry but both Charnley and Goulding are not good enough
Steady on! Carmont and Gleeson didn't just suddenly appear as top quality centres. They weren't at the top of their game from an early age. Carmont only started playing first grade at the age of 24 and Goulding still hasn't reached that age and it's another 5 years before Charnley turns 24.
Just because they aren't good enough now doesn't mean they can't become very good centres.
I cannot wait,Goulding has been playing off and on for 3 seasons and has not progressed to become an established
1st team player.
The jury is still out on Charnley but is not Wigan class IMO.
Sorry but Goulding and Charnley are more than fit to take the places of Carmont and Gleeson. Goulding is a true centre, reminds me a lot of David Stephenson. It takes a huge amount of bravery and no certain amount of skill to hold a ball just long enough to release your winger and take the smash that's coming, far more in my opinion than a prop just bashing straight into opponents. Plus reading the game and coming out of the line to break up an attack.

Gleeson in his day was/is pure class but then again, so is Charnley, possibly a new Miles. CherryPie is right. With the way things are, we should stick with these two as natural successors for Gleeson and Carmont. Not sure who we've got for wingers though.

Got to say something about Carmont, he gets better with age. Speed, tackling, position, he's just great but the long term future is the Wigan lads.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Some good differed opinions in this thread on wether Charnley is any good and if he is a winger or centre.

I may be wrong but doesnt he naturally play on the left Carmonts spot hence the reason he is on the wing because he can score tries for fun has a good defence etc.

I think Charnley will make the grade as a left centre, for me though he does need to work on kick returns, he seems to lose concentration on keeping his eyes on the ball when catching/gathering.

Whelham (not sure on spelling) IMO is a good attacking centre but defencively not the best, also I dont rate him any higher than I rate Charnley if anything I prefer Charnley.

Out of interest who does everybody think the best british centres are at the moment??