joe mellor

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
deancartwright1990

joe mellor

Post by deancartwright1990 »

really impressed with this guy would throw him in first team soon
ancientnloyal

Re: joe mellor

Post by ancientnloyal »

He will get his chance soon enough I reckon. 1 or 2 games even unused on the bench would do him a world of good.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

All the Wigan lads did us proud tonight. Loved that last try. Logan dummy half, Joe's jinking run and pearl of a pass to Coyle. Can't wait for Joe to break into the first team. I cringe when I hear commentators saying “these lads aren't Widnes players .........yet!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Kittwazzer wrote:All the Wigan lads did us proud tonight. Loved that last try. Logan dummy half, Joe's jinking run and pearl of a pass to Coyle. Can't wait for Joe to break into the first team. I cringe when I hear commentators saying “these lads aren't Widnes players .........yet!
Not being funny, but usually in matters like this the commentators have a little bit of "inside information" so I would not be overly surprised to see them sign a year long loan deal (or something like) for next season.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I too thought all our lads, in both teams, did us proud tonight. Especially Joe & Logan, can't wait to see them playing in our first team soon :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Id honestly rather have Joe in the squad than Finch, while i admit the melbourne Finch was leagues ahead of mellor, i havent really been impressed with him in our shirt his kicking game has been terrible and his passing leave's a lot to be desired sometimes on current form id have mellor
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
pieaterinLeigh

Post by pieaterinLeigh »

I dont think it would be the end of the world for some of the emerging youngsters to get more game time by going to Widnes on a dual registration deal would it?

They'd be under the wing of Betts, O'Connor and Cullen would would add to what they have learned within our system and minutes on the pitch (even if it's for another team) can only help their development. Being dual reg, we can re-call them if needed as long as we put that as part of the deal. The following year, or sooner if appropriate we get our kids back nearer to being men and then we can put the Wigan polish back on them and bring them into our squad.

Obviously there are going to be some changes next year with Mags leaving, and even if Waney takes over he is still going to have some differences in opinion on player selection etc. So i would be surprised if anything that was decided about loan/dual reg deals dont have a cast iron get-out clause.
OJ

Post by OJ »

I've been waiting for what seems like for ever to see Joe play in the 1st team. Comments emerge like him not being big enough but same could have been said about Sam when he first got his chance and he has just gone on from strength to strength and think Joe would do the same.
And how fantastic would it be to have the three Tomkins lads all playing in the first team - Sky would need an ambulance on standby for Wiggy Hemmings as he would be sick but regardless of that it would be fabulous for their family, for them and for us. Bring it on. :)
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

tom g

Post by tom g »

OJ wrote:I've been waiting for what seems like for ever to see Joe play in the 1st team. Comments emerge like him not being big enough but same could have been said about Sam when he first got his chance and he has just gone on from strength to strength and think Joe would do the same.
And how fantastic would it be to have the three Tomkins lads all playing in the first team - Sky would need an ambulance on standby for Wiggy Hemmings as he would be sick but regardless of that it would be fabulous for their family, for them and for us. Bring it on. :)
To be honest I think that there are an awful lot of smilarities between Sam and Joe Mellor. Both of them seem to be very good at playing what they see in front of them, and they both have a real good step on them with a lot of pace. Mellor should be given an opportunity to break into the first team soon, and the prospect of Tomkins at fullback and Mellor in the halves is very exciting because I think we have 2 players there who will exploit any tiny bit of space in front of them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

have to be careful to keep the balance of the team good, that ol' saying too many cooks and all.

Having people like Sam and Joe is great but it isnt always as simple as 2 great halves = success, the balance has to work.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure