Radders

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the grinch

Re: Radders

Post by the grinch »

i still think your being a bit hard on the lad! he wouldn't be able to get in front of rads i know but then again who would. i think its a bit unfair to pick out certain games where he played bad and say look he's crap! every player has bad games every player makes mistakes that cost the team.but briscoe is a young player who can learn for the next four seasons and still be young enough to play for G.B. now i think you will admit in four years time rads wont be playing for G.B. he will simply be to old. briscoe is the future and good as rads is he is only human and eventualy he will have to slow down. briscoe would then have his chance.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Briscoe is very suspect under pressure, his positional sense is not as good as it should be, and he misses way to many 1 on 1 tackles, especially against the bigger guys. Yea hes great goin forward, but unfortunatly his first priority as a fullback is to offer stability as the last line and promote confidence to those players in front of him. When Radlinski first came on the scene as a centre, I saw him play a few games and saw how great he was under the high ball and how solid his defence was, I remember saying to my dad at the time that he would make an excellent fullback. It was obvious he had the abilty defensively to make it, I just dont get that feeling with Briscoe. It would have been nice to keep hold of him, but as a bench/squad player at best.

On a wider note, none of the current crop of young fullbacks that are coming through throughout the league compare to Radlinksi, not one of them has the attitude and bravery that Rads has. There are a few things you cannot coach into a player, one of them is heart, and Rads more of that than, Reardon, Mathers and Briscoe put together.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ChrisA posted:
Briscoe is very suspect under pressure, his positional sense is not as good as it should be, and he misses way to many 1 on 1 tackles, especially against the bigger guys. Yea hes great goin forward, but unfortunatly his first priority as a fullback is to offer stability as the last line and promote confidence to those players in front of him. When Radlinski first came on the scene as a centre, I saw him play a few games and saw how great he was under the high ball and how solid his defence was, I remember saying to my dad at the time that he would make an excellent fullback. It was obvious he had the abilty defensively to make it, I just dont get that feeling with Briscoe. It would have been nice to keep hold of him, but as a bench/squad player at best.

On a wider note, none of the current crop of young fullbacks that are coming through throughout the league compare to Radlinksi, not one of them has the attitude and bravery that Rads has. There are a few things you cannot coach into a player, one of them is heart, and Rads more of that than, Reardon, Mathers and Briscoe put together.
Well it looks like ChrisA and I are on the same wavelength on this one. The above is spot on in my opinion. In particular the last paragraph.

I don't think any of us like to see young players who have come through leave Wigan especially if they show some potential but I do think in Briscoes case there was too much negativity from the fans. As I said before we have released "good" young players previously and we will do again because we produce so many.

Dave
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

be fair guys.. in 03 when radz was out for a long time briscoe stepped up BIG time for us.. i remember saying almost every game at the jjb, that young briscoe lad is gonna be a class act.. i can`t believe people are suggesting his postioning is off etc.. compared to radz he don`t stand a chance.. look at wellens throughout the tri nations.. his postioning and angles were ALL wrong.

radlinski is the best #1 in this country.. i truly believe briscoe will one day take that mantle... the only other guy out there is mathers.

radz can`t play forever.. we all love him and know how important he is to the team, but to make a player go, who didn`t want to do.. is crazy.. even though it was all down to the 20/20 rule thing..

briscoe is a good player right now, he will be great.. shame he won`t be in the cherry and white...
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I couldnt aggree more!! he as twoyars left then he has his sights set on travelling the world. In two years we have to bring in a new ful-back train him wiv rads and then relase him into the first team
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

My dad was told briscoes agent demanded a claus in his contract that says when rads retires and briscoes contract is up we have first choice on whether we want him or not. Dont know if its true.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I doubt it . But it would be cool
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Robjoenz, call me a cynic, I am!, but for Davico to cancel his get out clause before a ball has been bowled to confuse the sports metaphors, suggests to me that he is patently unfit and not going to last one season let alone two and his agent is just ensuring that Wigan will have to pay him off to get rid of him at the end of year one. Lets hope this cynic is wrong.
Another interesting question is why if Wigan have got all these young players coming through why are we joining the Bradfords, Hulls and Wakefields of this world in breaking the 3 overseas players rule for Superleague 10? :conf:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall posted:
Robjoenz, call me a cynic, I am!, but for Davico to cancel his get out clause before a ball has been bowled to confuse the sports metaphors, suggests to me that he is patently unfit and not going to last one season let alone two and his agent is just ensuring that Wigan will have to pay him off to get rid of him at the end of year one. Lets hope this cynic is wrong.
Well according to the article it was Davico not his agent who asked for the clause to be removed. Also the clause was for him to leave Wigan not for Wigan to terminate his stay early as far as we know.
Another interesting question is why if Wigan have got all these young players coming through why are we joining the Bradfords, Hulls and Wakefields of this world in breaking the 3 overseas players rule for Superleague 10? :conf:
I am all for clubs sticking to the three including Wigan but the simple answer to the question is we didn't have suitable prop forwards and a suitable scrum half and the ones we found happened to be foreign.

Having signed Jerry, Luke and Dennis the only way we could have stuck to three would have been by releasing Dallas and going with the same centres as we did in 2004, perhaps even keeping Hodgson as a centre (otherwise we would be lacking numbers even if he is rubbish).

If the club had done that and said sticking to 3 overseas players was why they were doing it I would have supported them but it would be a risk and we would certainly have a poorer team just by losing Dallas let alone the new centre.

Dave
Wight Pie

Post by Wight Pie »

I thought Davico had an Italian passport so doesn't count under the Quota due to EU rules on the free movement of EU citizens ( as per the high number of foreigners playing in the Premiership) and that Seuseu was covered by the Kolpak ruling meaning South Seas Islanders don't count as overeas players... I may well have imagined that but I'm not sure.