Business end of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MarkD

Business end of the season

Post by MarkD »

Earlier in the season, there seemed to be a collective dip in the team's performances/results and the support of the team from numerous quarters. I think a number of factors came together at once to cause this;

- integration of new players at key positions took longer than would have been wished
- the method and effect of Martin Gleeson's departure
- the disappointment and hangover from the WCC result
- the noise and eventual announcement of MM return to Aus
- Richards being out and the impact that has on the back-line
- a collection of game injuries all happening at once - especially Hudd away
- a natural 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' atmosphere following the GF success of last season and the expectations of fans - quite normal.

And despite all of the above, we have stayed in and around the top of league all season - as we should.

I write this because it seems to me over the last couple of games, the intensity in defence has been increased, the forwards are running more and harder, the set plays are coming off and we are controlling games more completely.
I think this is a deliberate plan of getting to this phase of the season there or thereabouts and then kicking on as the games get fewer but the importance gets greater.

This is a slightly risky strategy but with players now being fitter, a more settled team, I think the benefits will be there for all to see.

I don't think we'll go unbeaten but I honestly think we've let Warrington play their game and without being at our best they have not been able to shake us off at all. If we continue to play as we have, we'll finish 1st in the league with clear blue water between us and 2nd and then they'll realise how good this team actually is. I'd be concerned if I was at Warrington, I honestly think they will not get better over the back end of the season and yet it might not be enough.
southernpie

Re: Business end of the season

Post by southernpie »

MarkD wrote: I think a number of factors came together at once to cause this;

- integration of new players at key positions took longer than would have been wished
- the method and effect of Martin Gleeson's departure
- the disappointment and hangover from the WCC result
- the noise and eventual announcement of MM return to Aus
- Richards being out and the impact that has on the back-line
- a collection of game injuries all happening at once - especially Hudd away
- a natural 'after the Lord Mayor's Show' atmosphere following the GF success of last season and the expectations of fans - quite normal.

And despite all of the above, we have stayed in and around the top of league all season - as we should.
I agree with all this, Champion sides win ugly when they have to, maybe our expectations were a bit high after last season, but with the various off pitch disruptions and injuries to key players, for me the lads didn't drop too many points in the first half of the season. Magic weekend was probably the biggest disappointment for me, letting a 16-0 lead slip for the draw and against Stains at that. Hull we looked a bit out of sorts until certain "incidents" seemed to get us fired up to come back from 10-4 down to win. At giants, Brough's kicking caused a worry, but the result speaks for itself 20-6 win. Dire at home for me probably wasn't the best first game to start Brett Finch we did look out of sorts and nothing seemed to work. At Leeds we seemed to be continuing our off form but ground our way back into the match for Sam to get the draw with the last kick of the game. All of the above without Pat's kicking.

It was a bad day at the office against Cats at home, where our pack were totally bossed. Good Friday we were 10-4 down at HT but bossed the 2nd half for a win, rarely easy against Stains. The loss at Cats was no disgrace many top teams will lose points there. A silly 2nd half at Cas to let a 22-4 lead go to a draw, but how much was due to Exile fatigue, all the top 4 dropped points.

Since then our form has been on the up, Finch and Deacon are starting to run the show behind a pack that is more dominant every week, key players seem to be riding out injuries without detriment, MM said after Giants game about changing a couple of things for the last two games and it is paying off, if the lads take this into the game on Friday and secure the win over Leeds, we only have to go to Hull and Warrington from the top 8 and 5 of our last 8 games are at home.

Therefore I too believe there will be daylight between the Warriors and the rest at the end of the weekly rounds.

The biggest hurdle for me is the visit to Dire the week after winning the CC at Wembley, I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE

COME ON YOU WARRIORS, LETS SEE YOU FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL AND WIN A GRAND SLAM OF ALL TROPHIES ON OFFER
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

We have only been beaten three times so far this season.
My worrying thought is that two of these have been against the same team.
Catalans have twice played aggressive Rugby League that has disrupted our style of play.
There's a good chance that they will finish in the top 4.
Should we be worried about facing up against them again in the play-offs which is a possibility.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

southernpie wrote:The biggest hurdle for me is the visit to Dire the week after winning the CC at Wembley, I BELIEVE, I BELIEVE

COME ON YOU WARRIORS, LETS SEE YOU FULFILL YOUR POTENTIAL AND WIN A GRAND SLAM OF ALL TROPHIES ON OFFER
If we continue this form and even build on it, the Wire game after Wembley might no longer be an issue!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Panchitta Marra wrote:We have only been beaten three times so far this season.
Catalans have twice played aggressive Rugby League that has disrupted our style of play.
Should we be worried about facing up against them again in the play-offs which is a possibility.
No other team has made the double over us on Madge's watch. A treble is surely out of the question!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Simple answer - A resounding NO!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Not if we carry on as we are doing
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think they beat us twice a couple of seasons ago, I maybe wrong, & then we had to go over there in the play-offs where we thumped them :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

So, is the consenus that Catalan can be considered les chevaux sombres for the GF?
BriH

Post by BriH »

I'm not very good at French! But I presume you mean 'dark horses'?!
As for your Post, MarkD, I thought I had written it! You summarised everything I have been thinking.
I believe Wigan can only get better whereas I believe Wire have reached their peak.
Barring injuries, I really believe Wigan can do the double.