Possibly lower average attendance than last year!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Possibly lower average attendance than last year!

Post by ancientnloyal »

We have 3 more games at home: Salford, Bradford and Crusaders. Last years average was 15,723 and currently for 2011 we're on 16,297.

If we match last years gates for the salford and crusaders (knock a few off due to first home game last year) and put a realistic figure on the bradford game (end of season trophy last year) we'd be lower than 2010.

Can'tsee why as we're a Champion side and have had bumper gates for the bigger games. It's just the 'normal' games we have seen 'normal' attendances.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cumbria_warrior

Re: Possibly lower average attendance than last year!

Post by cumbria_warrior »

We probably took a knock with the wednesday Cas game, also people have not got the same money at the min with petrol prices and bills rising. Dont think its down to the team plus not many away fans seen to be coming this year
Genius1678

Post by Genius1678 »

cumbria_warrior wrote:We probably took a knock with the wednesday Cas game, also people have not got the same money at the min with petrol prices and bills rising. Dont think its down to the team plus not many away fans seen to be coming this year
I think this has been a major factor for the lower attendances of 'average' opposition games for 2011 - it is something that clubs need to sort out in order for the sport to develop as a whole. Thats what i think needs to be sorted anyway - MORE AWAY SUPPORT.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

cherry has it spot on. we were 5,000 down on the big one for example.

Leeds have a higher gate for 'normal' games almost across the board mainly due to higher fabricated home support than us.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

TV is an other important factor when looking at numbers attending.

Last few games have been "live" so coupled with what everyone else says, this keeps away support down, gets home fans into the pubs,and if weather bad (which it permanently seems!) keeps some fans at home.

If the Club can 'build-up' the last couple or so games with some imaginative marketing, with the battle for No. 1, then no reason why we can't have some top crowds and maintain our average.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

ancientnloyal wrote:We have 3 more games at home: Salford, Bradford and Crusaders. Last years average was 15,723 and currently for 2011 we're on 16,297.

If we match last years gates for the salford and crusaders (knock a few off due to first home game last year) and put a realistic figure on the bradford game (end of season trophy last year) we'd be lower than 2010.

Can'tsee why as we're a Champion side and have had bumper gates for the bigger games. It's just the 'normal' games we have seen 'normal' attendances.
Lets add in the attendance against the convicts then (24263) as that was a top priced game and our overall attendance rises to 17021. I don't think that the Whinoes are fiddling their attendances but the Bulls certainly are, even the match commentator on Radio Leeds disbelieves the attendances reported during their games on the radio.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

ian.birchall wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote:We have 3 more games at home: Salford, Bradford and Crusaders. Last years average was 15,723 and currently for 2011 we're on 16,297.

Lets add in the attendance against the convicts then (24263) as that was a top priced game and our overall attendance rises to 17021. I don't think that the Whinoes are fiddling their attendances but the Bulls certainly are, even the match commentator on Radio Leeds disbelieves the attendances reported during their games on the radio.
Could be that those who bought the cheap season tickets are staying away because bratfurt are garbage. They would still count on the attendance but the crowd would look less
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

We're still on course to be the best supported club in Superleague.

http://www.slstats.org/Home.html
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

people are skint. I haven't been to nearly as many games this year, and I'm still working, but current economic pressures make it harder to get time off.
Commentator on GMR counted the Wakey fans on Friday. Apparently their were 87 in the stand just before kick off.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Susi

Post by Susi »

I agree people are finding hard to manage finances with all the cuts and many have lost jobs and/or hours.
This is reflected in the amount and time span of the 70% sales all the shops are having. Even primark have got half price sale which shows things are bad.
Folk haven't got the money like last year and have to decide what to give up.
I have not been to any away games this year some down to work but others due to expense.
I think we will still rate up in amongst the highest attendances.
I also think we are better supported when we are in a slump, look at the year we were nearly relegated people came out in droves.