Extra Pace!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Extra Pace!

Post by Matthew »

Just been to the BBCs website and there is an article stating that former Olympic Sprinter Dennis Mitchell is travelling to Wigan's warm weather training camp - looks like we might get some cover on the wings after all! Let's just hope this works out better than Ben Johnson did in American Football!

Have and look and tell me what you think!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 119065.stm
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Cleveland Pieman

Re: Extra Pace!

Post by Cleveland Pieman »

Do you remember Gary Henley Smith, similar sprinter played for us in 80's... fast but not a rugby player. Think this is the same
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cleveland Pieman posted:
Do you remember Gary Henley Smith, similar sprinter played for us in 80's... fast but not a rugby player. Think this is the same
No he is not going to play for us, just be a sprint coach while the team is in the USA.

The club once employed Bill Hartley ex-400m runner to do the same. I always thought it was little things like that to get that little bit extra out of the players that made a difference during the 80's and 90's.

If he can give any player half a yard extra pace by teaching them a proper running technique it is a good thing.

Dave
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Yea this was in rugby league express about a month ago, maurice siad that Dennis Mitchell would be helping out, and they where hoping to use a better running game this year, similar to what the Australians used in the tri-nations. Wigan want to be a more athletic team and run with the ball better, they are hoping Mitchell can help them with this fitness wise and give them a few tips.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Mitchell will of course be chiefly remembered for one of the best positive drugs test excuses of all time. After excessive levels of testosterone were recorded in his bloodstream in, I think, 1992, he claimed the reason was that the previous night he had drunk five bottles of beer and had sex with his girlfriend four times. Welcome aboard Den!
*!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!*

Post by *!Wigan Babe-Luke Robo Is Class!!* »

whos denis mitchell or would i be too young to know him? x
WIGAN TILL I DIE!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

As it says in the first post or so hes a former olympic sprinter!!!!!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

When are they flying out or have they already??
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

I thought it was the week before radders' match, so it could be this coming week, not too sure though
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
kt4ever_1

Post by kt4ever_1 »

I thought it was last week!! Thought they would have it on offical site but they dont.
Take me home wigan road to a place i belong wigan rugby not the latics take me home wigan road!